Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buick 455 $300 SOLD

I bought this Buick 455 to transplant in my truck.

I was told it was a 1972 and had a bit of head work done.

The carburetor was off and a engine plate on when I bought it. I slapped the carburetor on and found I had no spark. I headed up to NAPA and bought all expensive echlin parts for the HEI. I gave it a bit of gas and the thing came to life. The engine sounds healthy and will make someone happy.

I was going to tear down the engine and do all the , gaskets, seals, chain, aftermarket cover, oil pump and so on. I put new oil in and was playing around with the timing to get a baseline to use during assembly. I noticed the block casting markings and that it had a 46 not a 42. I pulled off the tappet covers and sure enough the numbers were for a 76 engine.

This is a 1976 455. It is the one that has 7.5 compression and will run great on pump gas.
Performance wise though it is the worst stock 455 to have.
It only makes around 350 ft lbs in stock form due to the compression and heads.

Now, this is a high nickle content block which means it is lighter then a 454. The heads on this are pretty much junk for someone looking for performance. For someone looking to build a engine for performance this Block is the one to have.

The 76 block has thicker walls which makes for a stronger block then earlier versions.

I am going to sell the complete engine minus the carburetor with a recommendation of rebuilding it. I will slap on a carburetor base plate for loading. The carburetor and carburetor base plate are staying with me as I will now be using them with my 472.

I am a bit spiteful of the engine right now. If it was a 72 I would have stole it at what I paid. For a 76 I got a fair price even though I was lied to. I would rather take a loss then lie to someone. To the best of my knowledge after running the numbers and a bit of run time this is a 1976 455.

It currently has the drivers valve cover removed so you can check the numbers and the flexplate should be replaced because I ran a jegs starter I had laying around to turn it over which ate the teeth up a bit. I was going to run a clutch and chuck the flexplate when I did the rear main.

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cleaning out the shed this weekend and want this thing gone. $300obo trades welcome.

If someone has a running Chevy inline 292 with a removable intake. I would trade straight up or maybe throw some cash at you if it has some low mile internal upgrades.
They made some with the intake integrated into the head I don't want these heads/motors.

Call me at6162603765 to set something up.

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Open to offers/trades.

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would be happy to trade this running 455 for a used HULK tube roller with any die set that you bought at time of purchase from swag.

Or $300 cash.

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sold

1 - 10 of 10 Posts