Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started having this issue at Bad Lands offroad park back in October.. while offroading and the jeep goes into an incline or I turn the wheels sharp and I goto hit the brakes the pedal pushes all the way to the floor with ease and no braking power at all. I have to pump the brakes repeatably to build up enough pressure to stop.

While driving normally on the road I never have an issue.. the only time I lose all the braking ability is when I turn the wheel sharp or going up or down a steep hill.

I have replaced the master cylinder, all new brake pads front and rear.. I've checked the vacuum canister ball and its connected, hear no other hissing so I don't believe there is a leak as cruise control works just fine.

What could be causing this? It's pretty scary when you go to hit the brakes and nothing happens.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
lets start with does it still have ABS brakes? If so you need to kill them while offroad in severe conditions. they will vent presure to keep from locking tires on heavy inclines.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it does still have ABS, I never see the ABS light come on.. but when the roads were icy I pushed my brakes hard and did not feel the ABS system working..

·
Registered
527 Posts
probably not your problem because I have IFS, but on my 93 tracker the same thing would happen. After lifting it the caliper would get squeezed at sharp turn and compress, therefore it took a couple pumps to regain pressure to it. I had to adjust my steering stops a couple turns. You might want to try this as an easy test.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Are you sure your lines are long enough? If they are stretching,they could be collapsing and causing the symptoms you are describing
X2

How is your brake fluid? if its low or has been low, check for any leaks when turning. Again short brake lines can pull on the banjo bolt and cause a loss of pressure/fluid.

best thing is to flex out the suspension and turn and check the lines. They may be long enough when driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts