Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
cold as ice
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our 21 year old daughter casually mentions that her car makes "screechy noises" when she is braking....Ray says...for how long? Oh about 2 weeks she says.

Last night (at 11:30 pm after work) we go home to do her brake job. I'm supposed to wrench because Ray hurt his back.

her brakes were so bad that the only thing stopping her car was the pistons on the rotor. The shoe was gone, what was left of it had slid down and jammed between the rotor and the backing plate. The ends of the pistons had melted and looked like a bullet that has hit bone. Ray broke 2 snap on screwdrivers trying to push the pistons back and it finally took an air hammer to do it.

She says "omg I could have died" Ray says...."you probably should have" :tonka:

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
So our 21 year old daughter casually mentions that her car makes "screechy noises" when she is braking....Ray says...for how long? Oh about 2 weeks she says.

Last night (at 11:30 pm after work) we go home to do her brake job. I'm supposed to wrench because Ray hurt his back.

her brakes were so bad that the only thing stopping her car was the pistons on the rotor. The shoe was gone, what was left of it had slid down and jammed between the rotor and the backing plate. The ends of the pistons had melted and looked like a bullet that has hit bone. Ray broke 2 snap on screwdrivers trying to push the pistons back and it finally took an air hammer to do it.

She says "omg I could have died" Ray says...."you probably should have" :tonka:

wwp of said daughter :tonka:

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
meh thats nothing! Back in High School auto shop, a kid brought his car in. The front rotors were sooo worn out he actually wore through the cooling fins and onto the other side! He was like ,"oh is that why my brakes sucked and made all that horrific noise?"

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
I'd teach your daughter to take better care of her belongings.

I'd also be wary of those pistons still sealing fluid after what was done to them. It wouldn't surprise me after taking an air hammer to them (bright idea) they're probably cracked.

5,476 Posts
I'd teach your daughter to take better care of her belongings.

I'd also be wary of those pistons still sealing fluid after what was done to them. It wouldn't surprise me after taking an air hammer to them (bright idea) they're probably cracked.
your parents should teach you how to mind your own busniess and not tell people how to raise their kids.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
your parents should teach you how to mind your own busniess and not tell people how to raise their kids.
wow.

I am amazed at some of the vehicles that came into the shop. I don't know how people can ignore that noise. The biggest problem was on the Silverados rear brakes. They are notorious for wearing out quickly. I have had to replce rotors and pads on vehicles with like 15,000 miles. One was at about 4,000. GM came up with a fix though, install these stupid flaps on the bed to keep the dirt out of the brakes. They only cost $90 plus install.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
seriously those calipers will most likely continue to be a problem , If i recall Ray was a wrench at one time so odds are he knows that . Either they will leak fluid , end up sticking or Ray is a lucky dog .

Im guessing last night was make it work . Then fix it right is in the very near future .

Was there much left of the rotors ?

·
cold as ice
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
seriously those calipers will most likely continue to be a problem , If i recall Ray was a wrench at one time so odds are he knows that . Either they will leak fluid , end up sticking or Ray is a lucky dog .

Im guessing last night was make it work . Then fix it right is in the very near future .

Was there much left of the rotors ?
yeah he was ace certified in brakes too.

He does think he got lucky, but he's gonna keep checking. He said that shoe slipped down when he was driving it home (after she told us it made noise for that long he wouldn't let her drive it). He said the rotors were good but at 1:30 am he couldn't get parts!! :sonicjay:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts