Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93' xj that has not been driven for over a year and was parked in the grass at a friends folks house. It had a rusted out front passenger side break line so i got a new piece got the flare tool out and spliced in a new piece only to find now that i can not get the bleeder balve to open. This thing is rusted like crazy. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it out other than the PB Blaster shower i have givven it 2 times a day for 3 days.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
heat the caliper wd-40 tap a little till cool off then do again repeat a couple of time for a couple of days. Or just go buy a new caliper.

·
I was born in the desert
1,719 Posts
Grab that fucker with some channel locks and twist. If it breaks buy a new caliper for 30.00 or so. Or if your cheap look for a used one. I'm sure someone here has one.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
heat the caliper wd-40 tap a little till cool off then do again repeat a couple of time for a couple of days. Or just go buy a new caliper.
Heat and smacking it does it every time. Been a long time since I have had to replace a caliper for a bleeder.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
90+ tj yj xj and zj front calipers are roughly $25 after returning the core.

You figure out if you want to fight it or not.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
I agree with the channel lock idea. Try that...and if it doesn't work go buy a new caliper. I also agree with the $25 price tag...that is about what I paid. Last year I did a complete front brake overhaul (new calipers, rotors, pads) and last month I did the rears (new wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, brake lines, parking brake cables). It isn't that expensive to replace the parts with new ones. It is easy to get a vehicle to run but WAY more important to get it to stop reliably.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
90+ tj yj xj and zj front calipers are roughly $25 after returning the core.

You figure out if you want to fight it or not.
20 bucks at autozone 2 weeks ago for a zj :d:

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
That's the best you could have done. Glad you got it taken care of tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts