Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
I have a body lift, the pro's are that its easier to work on lots of things like the moter, the trans, just more room. I know for a fact muddypaws has a 1" in his yeep. The cons, gaps look GAY, can cauz body flex, causes more damage if your in an accident

I bet bigjay will have some smart ars remark about this ! :thumb: how big of a body lift are you looking at?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a body lift, the pro's are that its easier to work on lots of things like the moter, the trans, just more room. I know for a fact muddypaws has a 1" in his yeep. The cons, gaps look GAY, can cauz body flex, causes more damage if your in an accident

I bet bigjay will have some smart ars remark about this ! :thumb: how big of a body lift are you looking at?
I was just thinking an inch, I was just thinking after I put my rear bumper on and the front and other stuff, it doesn't even look like it's lifted anymore. I plan on a lift instead of spacers in the spring but I saw body lift was only 100.00 so I wanted to know what people thought. I'm still getting the lift next spring.

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
I was just thinking an inch, I was just thinking after I put my rear bumper on and the front and other stuff, it doesn't even look like it's lifted anymore. I plan on a lift instead of spacers in the spring but I saw body lift was only 100.00 so I wanted to know what people thought. I'm still getting the lift next spring.
You wont even notice the gaps from a 1" body lift. I know theres LOTS of jeeps on here with 1" body lifts dont look bad at all. I have a 3" and it still doesnt look bad at all i get compliments all the time on it so i would say yea its a cheep easy fix for your situation.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
My '10a has ~2" BL built-in from the factory. Like everyone says, it looks gay. :rolleyes:

Craig

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how much lift mine is... but its regulated in thickness by the NHL :tonka:

There are pros and cons, as mentioned.

Best use is a 1", maybe 1.5-2" lift, when you need more clearance for drivetrain components and tires during flex.

Pros:

An inch of body lift raises less weight up than an inch of suspension lift, so you keep a lower center of gravity.

Suspension geometry isn't affected, so you can keep better angles and better performance from shorter control arms, or flatter leaf springs, if you had them (hey, I do.. I know you don't..)

Allows more room to raise the drivetrain up to get a flat belly. With your long wheelbase(I forget, exactly, but those are around 115" I believe), you'll be dragging the center, so having it tucked and smooth/flat is a big help. More so that a litle more suspension lift.

Cons are noted by earlier posts.

Personally, I don't think a 1" BL looks bad, is often not even noticed. 3" BLs are the devil.

With everything else, just look at the issue you are trying to correct, and see whats the best solution.

And yes, "doesn't look right" is allowed to be an issue :tonka:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have a 2" body lift on my tj. I put it on after the suspension lift for more clearance, etc. I think body lifts get a bad reputation. I have had mine for 6 or 7 years. I notice no problems with it, and have not had any unwanted side effects. If it is only an inch or two, and is installed correctly, I think it is a good way to get that last inch or two of lift.

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
i kno a few ppl that run them on jeeps and they are perfectly fine. 1-2" looks good, 3" u can notice the gaps alot more but to some ppl the gaps arent an issue. I run a 3" bl on my bronco and it rides the same as stock as said in the instructions. If you just wanna make room for some bigger tires then go for it!

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
From personal experience, like 5mins ago, man is it great to have a 2" body lift when replacing a trans!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts