Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting an "introductory" boat. purpose would be to put in an out of lake ( do not live on water) and pull tube (s). What works best? Looking at a small jet boat today, but wondering if there are any pro's & cons?

Thanks!
Brian:thumb:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I don't know squat about jet boats but I did pick up my first boat with an I/O drive. I think they are easy to work on, as I had to do a bellow job on it and it wasn't that tough, just time consuming.

Some things to look at - at least on I/O boats
Make sure it shift correctly any stalling when shifted could be a sign of a shift cable needing replacement which is not quick to do. Don't believe that it just needs an adjustment.
If you can, do a visual inspection of the oil in the drive just a little bit out of the bottom plug could tell you how the drive is
Look at the bellows, if they are showing signs of wear, the drive may need work such as water cooler impeller or bellow job
Run the boat long enough to make sure the temp is normal. If it isn't it could need a new impeller. This isn't a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

My boat was 23 years old and needed a bellows job and a new seal for the driveshaft.

For reference, my 17' open bow with the 3.0 Mercruiser can pull a skier/tuber with 4 people in the boat. Some weight may need to be shifted until I am on plane but it's not a big deal.

·
Master Cocksman
8,820 Posts
Go prop. Finding a competent place to work on Jets is getting few and far between. Not to mention the cost.

Around here there are 1 or 2 shops that will bother with jet drives, and they are outrageous in their pricing. Get a decent I/O. Stay away from anything with a King Cobra outdrive. OMC was bought by Volvo and aftermarket parts are VERY slim pickings.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
tubing and skiing behind a jet boat sucks due to the wash/spray. Get a prop boat.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Boat

Prop probably better I have a very nice Baja 170 islander open bow with a 150 mariner and hydraulic steering I'm thinking of selling I want a catamaran terribly . One thing too consider is the size of the boat if you get too big loading and unloading becomes very challenging especially if the water is rough . definitely want too do a compression check on anything you intend too buy that can tell alott ,

·
Master Cocksman
8,820 Posts
Also when checking out a boat, either hire a surveyor or get educated about stringers and moisture content. A couple hundred bucks can save you from blowing thousands on a boat that looks pretty but has serious structural issues that you can't see.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I ended up with a 4 winns freedom 170 IB/OB. I think it is rated @ 130hp. put it in once now and it did well with tubes and with wake board. Seems like a good first boat to learn the ropes and determine if we like it or not. :thumb:

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
Thanks for the input. I ended up with a 4 winns freedom 170 IB/OB. I think it is rated @ 130hp. put it in once now and it did well with tubes and with wake board. Seems like a good first boat to learn the ropes and determine if we like it or not. :thumb:
My neighbor where I camp has one.
Good entry level boat.
cheap to operate, easy to work on.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Seems like a good first boat to learn the ropes and determine if we like it or not. :thumb:
Go to the boat ramp at the end of a busy day and watch.

Marysville has two ramps, as I was leaving one had a boat that would not start in one, and a boat that would not go on the trailer in the other.
Five boats and trailer lined up. It happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts