Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it has been a little over 3 years sense, I parted with my runner to buy the farm and now it is time to start over I got some BIG plans for this little thing. I found it yesterday with an on-line search we have been looking for the right one for about a month now. I called Mis, then the dealer, then my insurance guy, we were in and out the door at the dealership in 34 minutes it was great.

lets take a quick look back at the Beast just for old times sake

And now her replacement.

First thing on the list is getting a nice "cow catcher" for the front something like what I had on my old Taco

then those tires need to go.

RBB

·
Gustafson
9,286 Posts
Sweet!! Very glad to see you're getting back into wheeling.

What made you go with the Toyota again?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there were a ton of different factors that led us to Toyota here are a few

#1 I will never buy a new GM product.
#2 The ford explore is a Taurus station wagon with no ground clearance and no after market off road options
#3 Durango is a Chrysler product
#4 we need 4x4, 5K towing, and third row seats for less than 40 K
#5 I have had a few Toyotas in my day and have loved them all great product, great price, great machine

·
Gustafson
9,286 Posts
Did you buy it new?

And, I find it funny you say Durango is a Chrysler product when you drive a Ram... :LOL:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it had 2 miles on it when we got the keys

And as for the Ram I needed a one ton, Toyota didn't make one, so I had to go to the BIG 3 and a buddy I went to College with was working for Cummins at the time and he was able to reprogram my ECU to the "Murder Mode" which has been fun and I love to drive it like I stole it but it does Murder transmissions. I currently find myself in a pickle because the newer trucks are nothing but junk with all there tree hugger jewelry. Now I know there is going to come a day when I need to replace the Ram but as long as I can keep it on the road I will, hoping to find a better solution in time.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Nice, we had a lot of back and forth about what to replace our FJ with. I wish it was easier to get the locker in the 4runner like it was when we bought the FJ.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lockers will come with time for us we needed the third row seat that was the whole goal with this upgrade Mis seams to be hauling everyones kids these days for something or another. had it in a very wet bean field last night tested the 4x4 quite a bit she did well. less than 150 miles on the truck and I have poop on the roof.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Yeah, for what they want for any package you can get a locker in nowadays, it's cheaper to buy ARBs lol.

When we bought our FJ, it was a simple box tick, locker, 295 dollars.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TRD PRO like $51K with lockers
SR5 like $41K without lockers
I work too hard for my money to just give it away for some stickers

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
short little test run this weekend the Runner did great it is not a one ton but it will pull

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Come on, no pictures of it in the bean field??? LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts