Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a Blackberry Storm on the Verizon network? What are your impressions? I've not had a Blackberry before. Are there better models to choose than this one? If I go with a smart phone it needs to be a Blackberry to synch with our Blackberry server here at work. Just wanted some real world feedback from actual users.

·
Square Peg
258 Posts
I LOVE my storm! a little weird at first, but once you get used to it, its awesome. Mine messed up once but I took the battery out and it worked fine.

·
Square Peg
258 Posts
Oh and if you get one, spend the ten bucks to get the screen protector, its a pack of three and itll save your ass... trust me lol :thumb:

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
My brother-in-law has one. He has a lot of issues with it being slow and locking up often. Supposedly several software updates have fixed this, but the last time I played around with it which was January 17th...it was still slow.

I have a BB Pearl on the Verizon Network and I love it. The Storm is a little too big for me, as I just carry my Pearl in my pocket. Blackberry's themselves are amazing phones. I've made posts on this site from my phone, get all my e-mails, use the calendar, task crap, etc. etc.

·
wheeling a Xj now
129 Posts
I dont have one, I have the LG DARE, but my buddy has one and loves it. At first he had some software problems with it so he took it in and havent had a problem since.

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
One of the managers at my workplace has one of them. He says its great, only thing he regrets is not buying a phone with a physical QWERTY keyboard.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Not having a touch screen on a smartphone will piss you off, but that virtual keyboard probably will, also. (Like Yellowjeeperman suggested.) You don't know when you're finger is actually on the button unless you're looking directly at each button as you press it. You'll type like Farm boy. :teehee:

I would wait until BB revises the Curve and/or Pearl to have a touch screen. They've been behind Treo for years on that and modeling the button layout on those models like the Treos still didn't quite cut it from a functionality perspective. You'll get used to it, but the wheel & ball don't make up for not being able to use the screen.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
Not having a touch screen on a smartphone will piss you off, but that virtual keyboard probably will, also. (Like Yellowjeeperman suggested.) You don't know when you're finger is actually on the button unless you're looking directly at each button as you press it. You'll type like Farm boy. :teehee:

I would wait until BB revises the Curve and/or Pearl to have a touch screen. They've been behind Treo for years on that and modeling the button layout on those models like the Treos still didn't quite cut it from a functionality perspective. You'll get used to it, but the wheel & ball don't make up for not being able to use the screen.
A trackball on a Treo would drive me nuts. Mainly because that OS is such a PITA it isn't even funny.

A trackball on a BB, perfect harmony.

·
BigBri
466 Posts
Oh and if you get one, spend the ten bucks to get the screen protector, its a pack of three and itll save your ass... trust me lol :thumb:
I think they look great, played with one in the store but for said reason above I have been reluctant to get one. I have the Blackberry Curve and it works great. easy to use. great reception even up in bad areas like Rose City and such. Like someone else said, if you screw them up to much you just pop the battery out and reboot. I've had mine for almost a year now.

Like the thought of touch screen but I take mine into the bush and I worry about scratching it up?

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
A trackball on a Treo would drive me nuts. Mainly because that OS is such a PITA it isn't even funny.

A trackball on a BB, perfect harmony.
Uh, yeah... Treos never needed a trackball or wheel. :finger:

I think they look great, played with one in the store but for said reason above I have been reluctant to get one. I have the Blackberry Curve and it works great. easy to use. great reception even up in bad areas like Rose City and such. Like someone else said, if you screw them up to much you just pop the battery out and reboot. I've had mine for almost a year now.

Like the thought of touch screen but I take mine into the bush and I worry about scratching it up?
Treo's don't require you to 'pop anything out" to reboot. They have a recessed button you push with the stylus.

And WTF with "the bush"? Do you go around rubbing it against tree bark or wear it on the bottom of your shoe? :sonicjay: People are way too worried about the ruggedness of touch screens. They don't get cloudy or develop dead spots. The technology is pretty resistant to damage.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Uh, yeah... Treos never needed a trackball or wheel. :finger:

Treo's don't require you to 'pop anything out" to reboot. They have a recessed button you push with the stylus.

And WTF with "the bush"? Do you go around rubbing it against tree bark or wear it on the bottom of your shoe? :sonicjay: People are way too worried about the ruggedness of touch screens. They don't get cloudy or develop dead spots. The technology is pretty resistant to damage.

My phones always get wet when one of my customers tries to make me jump from the dock to the boat then guns it past me :(

That is the only reason I have not jumped on the smartphone bandwagon yet. My mil spec Nextel has survived 3-4 dunkings that were work related :sonicjay:

·
BigBri
466 Posts
Some of actually leave the pavement with our 4x4's.:poke:

My screen and back cover are scratched from sliding in and out of my pocket, dirty fingers, etc. I was just passing on my personal opinion and knowledge of my BB.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Payday is in one week and I have been planning on getting myself a late birthday present since...before my birthday. Yeah...a Blackberry Storm. I hear that people who are upgrading from another Blackberry didn't like it, but first time Blackberry users loved it. I will be a first timer. One week...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts