Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
LS Powered
825 Posts
we have different scales for money amounts....

I do want a nice one that will last forever, i don't need frilly fruity wifi bluetooth options like some other old timers. Do you even know how to use a smart phone?

I know that’s not directed towards me, but I’ll comment anyway. I’m right with you on budget friendly purchases. I’m just trying to save you from needing to buy another opener in 5 years when the lower quality box store opener takes a shit. We see it every day. A quality 10’ 1 pc rail opener retails for about $250-300 from a garage door dealer. You’ll have that into box store junk after you buy the necessary extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,802 Posts
I know that’s not directed towards me, but I’ll comment anyway. I’m right with you on budget friendly purchases. I’m just trying to save you from needing to buy another opener in 5 years when the lower quality box store opener takes a shit. We see it every day. A quality 10’ 1 pc rail opener retails for about $250-300 from a garage door dealer. You’ll have that into box store junk after you buy the necessary extras.

This the way I went with my last one. I went Overhead door and got their Chamberlain made line, 1 pc rail and quiet as can be.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
No, it was directed at me. :sonicjay:
I understand your comments about the cheaper stuff. That's why I'm asking. On the other hand, my Genie box store opener has been working fine for the past 15 or so years. The only reason I really need to replace it is the frequency problem.

we have different scales for money amounts....

I do want a nice one that will last forever, i don't need frilly fruity wifi bluetooth options like some other old timers. Do you even know how to use a smart phone?
This old timer isn't sold on the frilly fruity wifi bluetooth options either. That shit scares me. Yes, I know how to use a smart phone. I've even recently realized that it takes photographs and records phone messages. Pretty hi tech stuff. Now I need to learn about that texting thing I keep hearing about.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
No, it was directed at me. :sonicjay:
I understand your comments about the cheaper stuff. That's why I'm asking. On the other hand, my Genie box store opener has been working fine for the past 15 or so years. The only reason I really need to replace it is the frequency problem.

This old timer isn't sold on the frilly fruity wifi bluetooth options either. That shit scares me. Yes, I know how to use a smart phone. I've even recently realized that it takes photographs and records phone messages. Pretty hi tech stuff. Now I need to learn about that texting thing I keep hearing about.
I'm not old (well, some think I am because I like white letter tires :teehee: ) but I'm not really sold on the wifi / bluetooth garage door either.

·
LS Powered
825 Posts
A lot of the old genies were decent openers, the newer stuff is poor quality. We stopped installing customer bought genies because we just cant make any money having to go back and replace faulty components under our installation warranty. Genie will send new parts but won’t cover labor.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Those are the rollers I have, I put a little grease in them once in a while too, both in the bearing, and around d the shaft in the door. Nice and quiet, standing outside in front of the door, you cant even hear it opening.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts

We have always had Genie Screw drives from the box stores. The first was 20 years old when lightning got it. The new one is 5 years old and going strong.

My house came with 3 Craftsman Chain drives, I don't really like them, but they are also 8+ years old. I don't really buy that statement.

·
LS Powered
825 Posts
We have always had Genie Screw drives from the box stores. The first was 20 years old when lightning got it. The new one is 5 years old and going strong.

My house came with 3 Craftsman Chain drives, I don't really like them, but they are also 8+ years old. I don't really buy that statement.[/

. Genie and the lower quality craftsman from chamberlain have made me a lot of money over the years. Statistically both are our most worked on brands. Craftsman square tube rails, plastic trolley, thin front pulley, and nylon drive gear all wear out prematurely. Genie has lots of issues with circuit boards, sensors, powdered metal trolley gears, screw drive couplers, transmitters, and pieced together rails that loosen up.

I’m not trying to make you buy anything, just offering up some facts on a subject that isn’t brought up much on here.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,802 Posts

My house came with 3 Craftsman Chain drives, I don't really like them, but they are also 8+ years old. I don't really buy that statement.[/

. Genie and the lower quality craftsman from chamberlain have made me a lot of money over the years. Statistically both are our most worked on brands. Craftsman square tube rails, plastic trolley, thin front pulley, and nylon drive gear all wear out prematurely. Genie has lots of issues with circuit boards, sensors, powdered metal trolley gears, screw drive couplers, transmitters, and pieced together rails that loosen up.

I’m not trying to make you buy anything, just offering up some facts on a subject that isn’t brought up much on here.

chamberlain isn't much better with circuit cards. That was the first thing the guy installing mine did was replace the circuit card. He said he never had a replacement fail, but he's had plenty of OEM's fail.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
A real quick thing that no one likes to talk about, if you put LED bulbs in your garage door opener you may have issues getting the garage to close with the light on. Something about the frequency emitted from the bulbs interrupts the signal from your garage door remote

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
A real quick thing that no one likes to talk about, if you put LED bulbs in your garage door opener you may have issues getting the garage to close with the light on. Something about the frequency emitted from the bulbs interrupts the signal from your garage door remote
Really? That's odd... Glad I just use cheap old regular bulbs in the opener. The LEDs are outside in the driveway lights. :sonicjay:

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I've got LED in mine, I have never had an issue.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts