Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My CJ-10a build-up was a "down & dirty", low-tech but functional project (6-month duration) that yielded me a very capable, diesel-powered wheeling rig. :thumb: However, it didn't fit the whole family, so I'm super-sizing my next Jeep project.

I'm on a fairly tight budget, so my next Jeep has to be relatively inexpensive & practical, while filling a specific need. After all...how many Jeeps does one family need? I have always been fond of Scramblers, as have my wife & kids (CLICK HERE for a pic of the first one I built). They're family-friendly, and unique enough that you don't see them around too often. The 2nd part of the equation is fuel economy. $3/gallon (or more) fuel costs suck. Regardless of how much someone can rationalize a high-powered, fuel-sucking Jeep, it's not at all a priority for me. I'm looking for an economical weekend cruiser/wheeler. Enter the SD-33 diesel motor from my 2nd CJ-10a. I sold the 2nd '10a tub/top/doors to a buddy, and will use the motor, transmission, and a variety of other parts from the '10a in the Scrambler.

The quick run-down on the parts...

Base Vehicle:
  • 1985 Jeep Scrambler Renegade (SR Sport): This Scrambler is originally from Atlanta, Georgia, and is rust-free (with the exception of some minor surface rust in a couple small spots). It's a 258/TF-999 auto/D300 setup, and was parked in heated storage almost 3 years ago when the 258 quit running with only 97K miles. It has the Renegade package, which includes power steering/brakes, OEM clock/tach, tilt column, intermittent wipers, etc. I plan to initially do the diesel swap, and will eventually do a frame-off restoration, keeping the original color/decal scheme.

Driveline/Chassis:
  • Motor: CJ-10a Nissan SD-33 diesel motor, 34K miles (but low-speed ones). Runs great.
  • Transmission: CJ-10a TF-727 automatic transmission, 34K miles, works great. The issue with running the TF-727 with a passenger-drop front axle is the front driveshaft clearance, so eventually, I'll need to lift the Scrambler 3-4" to clear.
  • Transfer Case: Stock Dana 300.
  • Axles: I originally planned on going big with this project (SOA with '78-'79 Ford F-250 axles), but after finding the '85 CJ-8 in such great shape, I decided I'd keep it more stock-looking. I'll retain the original Dana 30 front axle, and will swap in DJ Dana 44 in the rear. The DJ D44 is narrow-track, so I'll run a set of Spider-Trax wheel spacers to bring it to wide-track width out back. Gearing will most likely be 3.73 to maximize the power curve of the motor. EDIT: I now have a wide-track Dana 44 from an '86 CJ-7 that I'll be installing.
  • Springs: Stock CJ springs initially, then 3-4" lift springs eventually (lift required to clear front driveshaft w/727 transmission).

Body:
  • Tub: OEM Scrambler tub. This one has some minor dents, but is rust-free (just has some very minor surface rust in a couple spots).
  • Top/Doors: I'll also be using the OEM full hard doors. I did some parts trading, and ended up with a full Scrambler hardtop built by AJ's (which has been out of business for the last few years). I love the look of the OEM 1/2 hard top, but it's not overly practical for a family of four. I'll be repainting it the stock tan
  • Paint: When it's done, it'll be repainted original gold/light brown (I'm not sure what the official paint color is called), with a reproduction decal kit, most likely from Austin Jeeps. Babywrench is digging the paint scheme, as well. :thumb:

Interior:
  • Seating: The stock front Scrambler seats are in great shape, so I plan on retaining those. I do want to add two fold-'n-tumble rear seats for a total seating capacity of six (6). This fills the "minivan need" for us, as none of our vehicles (with the exception of my '93 Roadmaster winter-beater) fit more than four people.

Misc.:
  • Biodiesel fuel: No conversion needed for the motor, but I will need to buy a biodiesel processor.

Now for the pics:

1985 Scrambler Renegade:

SD-33 Diesel Motor/TF-727 Auto Transmission:

Mileage on the '10a driveline:

Hours on the '10a driveline:

I'll be repainting this AJ's full Scrambler hardtop tan to match the paint scheme of the Scrambler.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
doesnt look like a CJ front clip

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
dang, those frames are close to the same...

anyone swap CJ8 tubs on waggies?

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So 10a grill or cj? :tonka:
That's still up in the air, Adam. I'm leaning toward a CJ grill (or possibly '10a grill) with custom fenders. Using the Waggy springs, the '10a front fender wheel openings are a little closer to the tub that standard '76-'86 fenders. I may go for a flat-fender look of some sort.

sweeeeet, you know my number for some help!
Thanks Mike! :thumb:

dang, those frames are close to the same...

anyone swap CJ8 tubs on waggies?
My buddy Toby in Southern Indiana shortened a Waggy frame and is running a built 401 under a fiberglass Scrambler tub. I checked it out in-person in Windrock this Summer. Given that I have the "pattern" '10a frame (which I'd use if it were a little longer), it swapping to the Waggy frame should be fairly straightforward.

Craig

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,283 Posts
Why not extend the '10 frame? Seems like dealing with the rear body mounts would be easier than dealing with engine and tranny x-member swap issues.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
looks sweet craig, i will be over soon with my rig.

NOTE: btw the tug tub is a direct bolt on to a cj-7 frame (the original body mount is still there in the hat channel awaiting a bolt. :woot:
Pics comming soon.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not extend the '10 frame? Seems like dealing with the rear body mounts would be easier than dealing with engine and tranny x-member swap issues.
The front body mounts will actually just be a matter of measuring, and drilling a few holes. I will have to weld in a grill support bracket, as well. The frames (Waggy & '10a) are essentially the same from the doors forward. The '10a frame is great (heavier-gauge steel than the Waggy, completely rust-free, etc.), but there isn't a parallel section of frame long enough to make a frame stretch easy. The frame tapers out under the door, then tapers back in as it goes rearward. I'm sure it could be done, but just not as easily as shortening the Waggy frame.

Motor mounts and tranny crossmembers will also be very easy to adapt to the Waggy frame.

looks sweet craig, i will be over soon with my rig.

NOTE: btw the tug tub is a direct bolt on to a cj-7 frame (the original body mount is still there in the hat channel awaiting a bolt. :woot:
Pics comming soon.
Thanks Rob. Great news about the '10a tub body mounts, BTW. I knew it would be close, but didn't realize it would be a direct bolt-on. :thumb:

Craig

·
'78 CJ7 - Rebuilding -
518 Posts
Craig,

Very cool build-up. Can't wait to see how this will turn out! :thumb:
BTW, I sent you a PM.

Nate

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, I have assembled a few more parts, and it's starting to look a little like a Scrambler now. I got my windshield frame, hard doors & tailgate mounted. I also traded a 1/2 hard top, bulkhead, and misc. CJ parts to bbaXJ for an Acme full Scrambler hardtop. A guy on cj-8.com saw a mention of me getting the top, and offered a trade for an AJ's full hardtop. He preferred the look of the Acme better, and I really like the AJ's top better, so a 2nd top trade was made. I drove down to Indianapolis yesterday to exchange the parts. Here's the semi-assembled body. Pay no attention to the wheelbase; it's just sitting on this Waggy rolling frame temporarily. I'll be shortening another Waggy frame to use shortly.

Craig

EDIT: Build plans changed 9/29/2007...see original post.

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
Put those axles next to mine, maybe they will mate and pop out some Dana 35's.

This is going to be sweet.

·
Are we there yet?
1,995 Posts
Looks like it is coming along well - keep up the good work! Nice trade on the hard tops - were the parts from the Scrambler in Onaway used in the trade?

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, wonder who will finish first you or me? :tonka:
Probably you, Adam. :sonicjay:

Looks like it is coming along well - keep up the good work! Nice trade on the hard tops - were the parts from the Scrambler in Onaway used in the trade?
Hi Rob - Yes, the 1/2 top from the Onaway Scrambler was traded for the first full hardtop. :thumb:

One obviously has to have some vision when looking at a mismatched modge-podge of parts, but overall, it's a solid mix of parts for the project, and will look nice once I get all the bodywork/paint done.

Craig

·
Are we there yet?
1,995 Posts
Probably you, Adam. :sonicjay:

Hi Rob - Yes, the 1/2 top from the Onaway Scrambler was traded for the first full hardtop. :thumb:

One obviously has to have some vision when looking at a mismatched modge-podge of parts, but overall, it's a solid mix of parts for the project, and will look nice once I get all the bodywork/paint done.

Craig
Yeah, it can be difficult to explain to unimaginative people what you are doing with this odd pile of parts. I have the same problem with many of my projects.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts