Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very good friend who is going thru some really tuff times right now.

He was in a really bad car accident a few years back and has been a medical mess sense.

He has tried to go back to work multiple times but the injuries just wont let him. (journeyman electrician)

He is very humble and always puts others before him and in the past 9 months he has gone thru 3 vehicles. The one he bought after the accident lasted up unitll this spring when the frame rotted out.

He then bought a van and the rear end went on the freeway so he had to scrap it.

then he bought a truck and the trans went out. Well he was with out a car for off and on between these mishaps. Being unable to work, he has been selling things to get another car under his feet. Well he bought a car about 3 weeks go and it was going fine until the past couple of days it started loosing coolant. He would top it off and drive to where he needed to drive.

Well he just called me and said that it started to blow cold air yesterday, so he stopped to top off the coolant and today it wont turn over.

He is the kind of guy that would never ask anyone for help and would be pissed if he found out I'm typing this, this is why i didn't post it on Facebook.

He is waiting for his disablity to kick in but until then he need a car to be able to get around.

Any advice as to where I could look to get him some cheap transportation or where I can get someone to look at the car he has now.

I know I have asked you great people in the past for help for family's and you guys helped my family years ago and I always pay it forward because of that.

This isnt some dead beat guy who is a drunk or drug addict, just a guy with 2 dogs who loves fish.

So if you could please put me in the right direction as to what I could do to help him get his car fixed or find him something cheap that would be great

Thanks and God Bless

By the way he lives in White lake, if anyone knows of something

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quite a few guys on here turn wrench for a living, would be glad to give some advice or help if you were closer. What kind of car and what motor is it?

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 2001 cavalier 2.4

It's not that he doesn't fix his cars, be does. It's at the point what is worth repairing or getting another cheap vehicle. Thanks in advance

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is near Elizabeth lake and Union lake road.

For those who are questioning his repairs, he repairs the cars he owns, the Van blew the rear end on the freeway and it would have cost more to tow it then it was worth to get it repaired. The truck he had blew a trans and i wasnt worth repairing.

the car he had before those two he repaired it as needed until the frame rotted out.

He is a good guy on a road of bad luck, When he got int he car accident 4 years ago it messed him up both Physically and mentally.

He is old school and always helps others before taking care of his own need's.

If I could fix his car I would, but I have limited knowledge and ability.

He doesnt even Know I posted this.

Im not asking for anything free, Just some advise or if someone could look at it and let me know what it needs and I can try to get the money to repair it for him

Again thanks in advance

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
there are good cheap cars all over CL. Does he need help looking vehicles over before he buys them? I don't see how you could buy 3 cars in the last 9 months and have to scrap all 3 of them.

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there are good cheap cars all over CL. Does he need help looking vehicles over before he buys them? I don't see how you could buy 3 cars in the last 9 months and have to scrap all 3 of them.
I thought the same thing, 2 he bought from people in his neighbor hood and one he bought from a guy he used to work with. That one was sitting fo awhile so it was a crap shoot.

It has been a string of really bad luck, I have had good luck buying cars from c/l only bought 2 that had to be scraped over the past 10 years.

Im telling you if something bad could happen it has happened to him, and I'm just trying to put faith back into his mind.

If the car he has now can be repaired he will drive it until his disability comes in, its not a case of he just wants something better.

He was going to take it to the shop that he has been going to for years but the guy was booked last week and now with it not starting/turning over, he cant afford to get it towed and pay for just the fee to have it looked at let alone any major repairs.

He is just trying to survive and Im just trying to help him out.

If you knew him you would know that he is the type that would help out someone in a heartbeat. With his medical issue he is limited to what he can do, and even trying to repair the car is a struggle

·
Live Action!
15,748 Posts
He should get towing coverage on his insurance, its cheap and helps out in situations like these.

Bad luck or something else? I think he is just buying the cheapest junk he can afford unfortunately.

I would be willing to help but if he cant get it to me then that doesn't work for either of us.

Sounds like he overheated it and now it might be locked up. There is a chance it could get going again but with the limited details its hard to tell.

Is the battery charged? Is there oil in the engine? ....................

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He should get towing coverage on his insurance, its cheap and helps out in situations like these.

Bad luck or something else? I think he is just buying the cheapest junk he can afford unfortunately.

I would be willing to help but if he cant get it to me then that doesn't work for either of us.

Sounds like he overheated it and now it might be locked up. There is a chance it could get going again but with the limited details its hard to tell.

Is the battery charged? Is there oil in the engine? ....................
Yes there is Oil, I had him pull the dip stick and he said the oil is just oil, no water or antifreeze.

Battery is charged.

·
offensive 2 the sensitive
2,853 Posts
Dang that's literally the exact same spot I just moved from. Pretty sure the was over head cam. I'm doing a head gasket job a 99 cavalier right now with 83k miles. If it had over 100k it would be junked. Hopefully it's just a water pump or something. If he works in his own cars then hopefully he was smart enough to not let it over heat. If so one of the best things to do is go a NEW car dealership and talk to a manager and feed them the story and see if they can hook you up on a cheap trade-in. Good thing about trade in are 90% of them are already decent daily drivers.

·
offensive 2 the sensitive
2,853 Posts
Btw what shop is it? You would think if he's been going there for years that they could help him out on the inspection costs. Unless it's Waterford Garage on Elizabeth lake rd. That guy should be shot.

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
Wish I was closer so I could be more help. I would suggest someone who knows what they are doing checks out the battery connections and cables. I see where you mentioned cold heat but not that it overheated...It might be a coincidence that it won't turn over and leaks coolent.

·
Say what?!?
2,864 Posts
He's too close to me to not go and check it out for him. I can look at it tomorrow night after work, I get out about 6:00pm.

Let me know if that works for him so I can bring tools with me. If tomorrow is too soon I can do Friday also.

·
Say what?!?
2,864 Posts
Checked out the car tonight. Went in thinking the head gasket was blown because of the coolant leak and numerous "over heats". I talked to the owner a couple days ago and he said the engine cranked but wouldn't start. When i got there tonight I verified that. Battery was a little weak so I threw my jumper cables on it.

First thing I wanted to know was whether or not the engine had any compression. So I pulled the coil assembly and tested one cylinder at a time. Surprisingly that quad 4 with 234K miles still had 180 psi on all cylinders. Plugs were worn but not terrible and completely dry after cranking for about 30 seconds 15 minutes prior.

Put the coil assembly back on and wanted to check fuel. I should have checked fuel right from the get go, but I wanted to know what the internals were like first.

Turns out the fuel pump wasn't coming on. A few wacks with a hammer on the tank and it fired right up.

He has been putting straight water in it since it's been "leaking" so much, so I drained as much as I could and put actual coolant in it and bled it out. I only saw a little coolant leaking but that could have been from the bit I spilled when filling the resevoir since I forgot my coolant funnel.

After an hour of diag, the car was running and he had heat. I don't know how long the fuel pump will last but at least we know the engine isn't blown. The car actually ran really well for as many miles it had on it.

·
Live Action!
15,748 Posts
Checked out the car tonight. Went in thinking the head gasket was blown because of the coolant leak and numerous "over heats". I talked to the owner a couple days ago and he said the engine cranked but wouldn't start. When i got there tonight I verified that. Battery was a little weak so I threw my jumper cables on it.

First thing I wanted to know was whether or not the engine had any compression. So I pulled the coil assembly and tested one cylinder at a time. Surprisingly that quad 4 with 234K miles still had 180 psi on all cylinders. Plugs were worn but not terrible and completely dry after cranking for about 30 seconds 15 minutes prior.

Put the coil assembly back on and wanted to check fuel. I should have checked fuel right from the get go, but I wanted to know what the internals were like first.

Turns out the fuel pump wasn't coming on. A few wacks with a hammer on the tank and it fired right up.

He has been putting straight water in it since it's been "leaking" so much, so I drained as much as I could and put actual coolant in it and bled it out. I only saw a little coolant leaking but that could have been from the bit I spilled when filling the resevoir since I forgot my coolant funnel.

After an hour of diag, the car was running and he had heat. I don't know how long the fuel pump will last but at least we know the engine isn't blown. The car actually ran really well for as many miles it had on it.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts