Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just using it for PCM tuning. Want a dedicated one for this but don't see the point of spending more than that. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Good question.......I am in need of one also.

I was looking at some smaller ones this past weekend thinking it would be easier in the vehicle.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
Do you really need a new one?

I would just get a used one for a couple hundred, you aren't going to get a very speedy laptop under $500

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
I have done the used laptop deal before......normally not all that impressed........either the battery sucks something doesn't work right........for 300 bucks you can get something brand new and probably plenty fast for basic stuff.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
I have done the used laptop deal before......normally not all that impressed........either the battery sucks something doesn't work right........for 300 bucks you can get something brand new and probably plenty fast for basic stuff.
I just got a brand new i7 laptop at work. Battery still sucks :teehee: I get more life out of the old P4 laptop I have in the garage.

I generally get a used laptop, swap out the hard drive for an SSD, and call it a day. Hard drives and batteries are the downfall of used, if you get one cheap enough it's worth it though. Spent $75 for a battery on my ~2006-ish Acer for the garage, but I bought that one new in 06. Got an HP about the same vintage free with a missing power supply and failing drive. Less than $100 to get it going.
Any sub $500 laptop is going to be the equivalent of a 2 yr old high end laptop. Doesn't matter what brand you buy, there is only 2 companies building laptops anyway- Lenovo and Asus.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
They all seem to be about the same.

I've had Toshiba, HP, and now I have 3 Lenovo's. Most I get about 3-5 years out of

My older work class Lenovo has been pretty solid other than a driver issue that affects many Lenovo's where it will randomly but not often inclease the backlight to full on.

My second Lenovo is an i7 I paid like $800+ for. The touchscreen went bad just after the manufacturer warranty was up. "Luckily" I had the geek squad protection. It took them a year to get it fixed, and more than twice what I paid for it into parts. The final time it went back it got a full reconditioning. I still barely use it as I don't fully trust it, but it runs fine.

My 3rd Lenovo was purchased while Best Buy had the other one fixing it. It is a Lenovo Yoga2 with the i7. This laptop I like a lot and carry it everywhere. the SSD makes it so much faster.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
A while back, I was at microcenter, they had refurb dell lease turn in laptops for $99.99.
Seemed liked a good deal for a mid grade name brand laptop to me.

·
Yeeeee Haaaaw!
6,801 Posts
I'm running Holley EFI Live and running it on a simple $150 tablet that is Windows 8-based.
For anything more than that, I would use a laptop. I just picked up a Toshiba 2 in 1 with touchscreen for $450. Very nice unit for the price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts