Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to spending a long weekend at a resort around the week before Christmas with my wife for our wedding anniversary. I need some opinions on what's the best overall resort: skiing, lodging, dinning, night life,......

And I'd like to stay in the lower pennisula.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
I used to like Crystal back in the day, then I went skiing in Utah about 8 years ago, and can't bear the thought of skiing on michigan's bumps anymore.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Crystal Mountain isn't bad, but it isn't huge -- no place in MI is. But they have by far the best snow around, they get many awards for their snowmaking and grooming.

It's just over the bridge a bit in Canada if you want something better though. -- Searchmont.

The UP truly has the best skiing in MI... I just seem to get screwed, they never have snow when I am up there in Dec-Jan.

5,476 Posts
Nubs Nob hands down. its has a few ski in/ski out condo's not your typical resort like boyne mt. or boyne highlands but the skiing/snowboarding is a lot better.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts
Shanty Creek is pretty kewl so long as you score a chalet (new as of 5 or 6 years ago. Ski right to dinner or the bar. Hop a lift back to the pad. Ski through the patio door :tonka:

Boyne Mt. or Highland is nice as well.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Nubs. I like Caberfae too... don't understand why someone wouldn't. It's much less crowded than Crystal or Boyne with nice long runs.

Searchmont blows the doors off anything in lower MI though if you can do the extra drive.

42,948 Posts
x2 on the searchmont. They have the condos on the mountain, and yes, its really a mountain.

I think the vertical drop there is x2 of any michigan ski hill. Its about an hour across the border

You can even ski off the backside of the mountain, its the closed true "black diamond" run around. And they get 4"-10" of snow a night off lake superior.

Awesome powder

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,283 Posts
The extra time driving to Searchmont is time well spent compared to going to Boyne, ect. Besides, Boyne doesn't serve Poutine or ketchup flavored chips.

·
Ultimate Mall Wheeler
843 Posts
stay away from Caberfae.
Why? I like Caberfae for the lp it has a larger than average verticle(by Michigan standards), and its not too crowded which is one of the problems I have with Crystal.

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,283 Posts
I don't think you'll regret it. You can't go wrong with a chalet or villa. The villas (condo) are at the base of the main run and have a community hot tub. The chalets (cabins) are near the quad chair.

The only nightlife is the bar, but that's the beauty about the place. Quiet, cold, snowy, and tons o' stars.

5,476 Posts
i might consider going father to Searchmont, sounds like a cool place
you may want to look into going to blue mountain in Canada.

its about 5 hours or so from Windsor.

has a 720 vertical. (30 less then searchmount) and is about 30 minutes closer then search mount. Blue has an extremly nice resort also. http://www.bluemountain.ca/

The best place in the midwest/east coast is still tremblant in quebec.

its a ten hour drive (1.5 hrs from montreal) but has the best sking in the midwest/east coast.

Vertical drop is 2116 feet. and they have 95% high speed lifts and a gondla. Usuaully can find some good deals if you book in advance. I picked a place up the week before Christmas/New years week for 740 dollars USD for a 2 bedroom condo right in the main resort town at the bottom of the mountain. (200 yards from the chair lift) If you have the extra time and dont mind the drive this is a pretty good place to check out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts