Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
A decent machine shop should be able to get that stud out and fix the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
713 Posts
Broken stud flush in the back hole. Tried welding nuts to it: no dice. Tried Drilling: couldn't get a straight line on it, broken bits. Tried torching: messed up outer few threads before calling it. Figure it's not a huge deal to pull a head off and get a better idea.

I did realize yesterday that the truck has F3TE heads and my replacements are E7TE's. I'll try to salvage the F3, but not going to hold out much hope.

It's not too late to go again! The 50th is going to be good. Top will be coming off the bronco for the trail ride on the original 1969 Brush Run 101 course!
Yeah, not in the cards this year... too many projects need to be finished before winter, and trying to get into our house by labor day... Ben a long year so far:sonicjay:

Good luck with the stud, i agree with the above comment that a good machine shop can get it out for you.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Motor back together. Surprising amount of space to heave a head out. Ended up just cutting my losses and swapping heads out once i put a straight edge to the old one and found the surface not flat. fresh gaskets, replaced head, replaced exhaust manifold... no leaks.

Runs great now with about 12 fewer vacuum leaks. little caps everywhere on the intake were falling apart.

Now we're on to the rear door power windows. After replacing all the switches, we got power back there, but still no action. pulled the motors out and both tested bad. pulled one apart, cleaned up the goop, and got it spinning, but bearings were still too tight and rusted. The extra motors I had on hand ended up not being the right pieces, so replacements on order. Got the windows moving freely at least. Apparently they haven't moved in quite some time.

also: holy guacamole sound deadening material. this stuff is everywhere on the truck. feels like I took off 5lb/door just to open up the spots to get the motors in and out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The sound deadening sure makes for a satisfying thud when you close a door!

Before we left for Crandon, I decided that I could deal with grey seats in the tan interior for a little bit and mounted up the 2014 f150 seats that came with the console:

removing the not-good-for-roadtrips "BMW" seats from the PO: (fer sale btw :naughty:)

also found out a TTR-125L fits in the back!

we loaded up and scooted over there to crew for a couple rigs:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I guess a little update is order. Haven't really done much to/with it since Crandon.

Se we had ourselves A great ol' time at crandon. Towed a silly heavy 70's era camper to the track, loaded full of people for the trail ride (even made it on the big screen on sunday), poured all the trans fluid onto the highway in the bumper to bumper traffic heading back from the parade, and made it all the way home!

here's the video they played a few times featuring Bernie: Sorry, It's just on Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=405544093429528&_rdr

some deets on the trans debacle. Well, I figured out that a steady pulse on the throttle could get the front end bobbing much to the delight of the back seat booze cruisers. over the course of about 30 seconds we went from "something smells hot," "sucks for wherever that smoke is coming from," "smells like trans fluid," and finally from the guy behind us, "HEY! You just poured all your trans fluid out" SHIIIIIIIT.

We got a tow back to the pits, poured enough trans fluid into the sad E4OD to back it up onto the race truck's trailer and waited for it to cool. we couldn't find anywhere other than the bellhousing where the fluid would have come from, so in between race things, we started to pull the trans. Come to find out Northern Wisconsin isnt the best place to find a 20-some year old transmission input seal. Luckily, we had another teammate coming up from Green Bay that was able to find a new input seal and a full load of ATF. It was a bit frantic the whole time. Huge shoutout to the guys working tirelessly to get us back to Michigan.

only picture I took of the process: thanks AMil!

Sunday morning, we filled 'er up with fluid, took it for a couple mile test spin, and hooked right up to the 8k lb trailer. not a hiccup all the way home. stupid bouncy-bouncy, heaty-heaty. Live and learn i guess.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Amid all the problems with this 460 E4OD combination, a thing came home with me last weekend.

1997 (obd2) 7.3 PSD E4OD. Don't worry, we already have a plan to remedy the presence of that automatic trans. (even though it DOES shift absolutely wonderful) more to come when that plan becomes a reality.

I'll be pulling the drivetrain out of the F250 soonish and will be freshening/waking up the ol Powerstroke, as time and more important projects allow, before stabbing it in the bronco. Looking forward to getting a set of OEM wheels on it too.

·
Just a $900 jeep...
235 Posts
I have a soft spot for Centurions. I really like the Bronco type. I had a 95' F350 but it was 2wd and a 460 that needed a lot of work. Lost my ass on it, but a friend got a good deal on her.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have a soft spot for Centurions. I really like the Bronco type. I had a 95' F350 but it was 2wd and a 460 that needed a lot of work. Lost my ass on it, but a friend got a good deal on her.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nice Looking truck! they're certainly not getting any more common!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, it's been a hot minute since i've updated anything here and boy have there been some changes!

First off, we had our first kid in January, so that's been quite a change to the garage time! I'm very lucky to have an awesome wife who is understanding of my vehicular shenanigans and shares some in the enthusiasm.

as for the truck stuff, The black 97 PSD was rolled into the garage for drivetrain removal mid Feb:

...and made a huge mess, but it's all out! again, 97 (obd2) powerstroke and E4OD.

then the big white whale was brought in for a trans swap and some wiring clean up. worked out that I cleaned up a bunch of the previous owner wiring debacle and i could swap out the transmissions to get the ZF5!

While that was going on, I had loaned out my F150 to a buddy. it decided to let a wheel bearing loose and it was left in the upper peninsula. Going to get Clifford would be the Bernie's last trip out with big block power. Unfortunately it was during salt season. I wasn't amused.

With the big white whale out of the building, attention was finally shifted to the star of the show. Tear down was easy since we had already pulled the trans a few months prior. Garage has reached full disaster area status at this point.

Pulled the big guy out for some pressure washing on an above-freezing March day

then etched, primed, and painted all the bits that'd be tough to get at with the motor in it's home

The Powerstroke was then dropped into place as easy as could be. The only holes i had to drill were for the rivnuts used to mount the heat shield on the firewall.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had decided right off the bat that I was going to swap out the fuel system. Out came the stock fuel bowl and mechanical pump and the new stuff started. The lines from the stock mechanical pump were cut close to the banjo fitting, then flared for #4 37°JIC and adjusted slightly to attach to a JIC Tee. the Tee was adapted to a #6 AN hose and routed to the stock feed line which had also been flared to #6 JIC.

for return lines, the front port fittings were removed and adapted to the same AN hose and up to the regulator. I first tried to cheap out and use an amazon regulator, but that bit me. Ended up having to buy an Aeromotive regulator anyway. Their customer service is great and I won't hesitate to order from them again because of it.

Under the truck, I mounted up my filter and pump setup and plumbed it into some combination fo the 460 fuel lines and the powerstroke fuel lines. A pre filter/water separator to a stock super duty pump, to a finer post-filter. loosely fitted up here, I swear it is not as cockeyed as it looks in real life. :p

Then we get to drop the tank! Luckily i thought to drain it out as much as possible when it was easy to run the stock gasser fuel pump. big tank came right out, fuel pump removed, and the diesel pickup tube went right on. slap it back up and away we go!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
With the engine mounted and fuel system figured out, I changed gears a little bit to tackle the wiring and dash changes. I had full diagrams for both the obd1 460 and the obd2 7.3, but i wasn't sure exactly what would need to be changed. was hoping for a minimally invasive swap over.

Then I popped the kick panels off.....

Thank you installer of 90s alarm system. Holy Toledo. At this point it was easier to just pull the dash out of both trucks and make the best of both. they come out surprisingly easy and made swapping the pedal assembly worlds easier.

the parts truck ended up having the better dash structure, so all i had to do there was swap the grey skin out for the tan and slap it in there. Was able to get the Remote Keyless Entry to work too. $12 ebay fobs and it works mint!

More wiring sadness getting the RKE working. had to reconfigure a few things because crew cab, but it's all good now!

No pictures of the resinstalled setup, but suffice it to say that it's better than it was and looks like a standard obs ford dash now. whew. Also sold the grey seats/console and picked up an entire black/tan 3 row setup from an expedition.

Ready to fire? Almost!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Figured I should get the core support and mounting squared away before firing ut up. Was loking around and found Jeff's Bronco Graveyard had new core supports to fit the diesel rad. But I figured I would try to save a buck. Worse case scenario, i waste some time and i buy a new one anyway.

the 460 support was good, but the parts truck's was trash at the mounts. Center section was good though! Cut that out:

Made Similar cuts ont the Bronco's clean support, lined up a couple holes I split when cutting, and welded it up with the help of a couple pieces i designed and had cut out

some wire wheeling, some prep, and some paint should ready it for plenty long.

all this work was pretty much just because the powerstroke radiator is bigger than the 460.
460 front, OBS 7.3 PSD middle, Super Duty 7.3 PSD rear. significant size difference.

Started slapping the front end back together here. figured i would do some preliminary cutting for the super duty intercooler now to make that phase easier in the future. Of course it'll land right in where my add on piece ended up. 🤦

No matter. it'll be ready for when the stock drivetrain is proven and fun things start coming.

Ready to fire? YouBetcha exhaust clip (might take a second to figure out how to share a video from google)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts