Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
13mm 12 point socket for the three bolts. lots of PB blaster, a lot of heat and a lot of anger help too I have found.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
you forgoth the axle nut socket, either a 34mm or a 36mm can't remember.

sorry, that is the least frustrating part. Thus the reason I forgot :sonicjay:

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
it would be even more frustrating if you forgot it and tried to remove them:poke::sonicjay:
not by much. if you could free the hub the whole shaft would pull out with the bearing then.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
13mm 12 point socket for the three bolts. lots of PB blaster, a lot of heat and a lot of anger help too I have found.
take off wheel, take off caliper and rotor, take off 36mm nut, take out 3 bolts, no need for heat, no need for pb blaster, smack the fuckin hub as hard as you can with a sledge, they pop right out every time.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
take off wheel, take off caliper and rotor, take off 36mm nut, take out 3 bolts, no need for heat, no need for pb blaster, smack the fuckin hub as hard as you can with a sledge, they pop right out every time.
Don't hit too hard though or you bend the knuckle and have to drill it out. :(

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
how the hell could you bend the knuckle hitting the unit bearing? Not saying it cant happen, just never seen it.....and I always just smack the fuckers a couple times, I never try to finesse them out.
trust me. It can happen :sonicjay:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
the carrier bearings?

take the bearing caps off, get a case spreader/diff puller and go to town.

Fail. :finger:

You have to do all the other shit everyone babbled about in order to get the shafts out first.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
Good way to knock the hub apart..... leave the 36mm nut on the axle shaft to hold the hub together and pull it as an assembly. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts