Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was moving into our new house today and I looked up and saw this big ass bird. I had to take a double take . I thought to my self was a freaking eagle? The previous owner saw me looking up and said Yep that was a bald eagle, there are 3 or 4 of them that live in woods on the other side of the river. He has seen them swoop down and grab fish and occasional duck right out of the river. He said I better keep an eye on my cat. So seeing that eagle today was pretty cool.

·
huron county *******
85 Posts
they are awesome to see, a couple nest around my house, and i have video of a couple of them catchin a duck. Actually i have helped the DNR catch a baby so they could tag it, that was cool experience.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've seen quite a few up here in the u.p. . They found a eagle nest near gwinn with a bunch of cat and dog collars. At least thats what I was told.

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was up near Edenville( 48620) I really was not expecting to see one. I have never seen a eagle in action so I am going to keep watch for them. My friend lost a small beagle to an owl one day. We were standing outside and this huge owl came out of nowhere and snatch up the dog and was gone.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
cool. my uncle used to have a bald eagle nest that fell out of a tree, it was the size of a love seat. beautiful birds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
we have alot of them up here on the ausable river- parts of it are blocked off to motor vehicle traffic to protect its sanctuary. Kinda like that POS warbler bird. whatever.

I always thought to myself why does the eagle signify the old glory of the US and have pics of them on t-shirts and stuff like that. Its on money, all that stuff. Its a cool and big bird. I admit.

But. Its a friggin vulture. It's a scavenger. Real cute and signifies the freedom of the US as you drive down the road and see it pecking at dead deer thats been there for a month.

Oh how cute.

On another note- I got pics of an owl and eagle fighting over a dead Rabbit in mid air. That was cool. Eagle won.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
ive only seen 2 in the LP, just north of silver lake, union city (just N of coldwater) and a 3rd between ft wayne and angola. That last one surprised me

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
we have alot of them up here on the ausable river- parts of it are blocked off to motor vehicle traffic to protect its sanctuary. Kinda like that POS warbler bird. whatever.

I always thought to myself why does the eagle signify the old glory of the US and have pics of them on t-shirts and stuff like that. Its on money, all that stuff. Its a cool and big bird. I admit.

But. Its a friggin vulture. It's a scavenger. Real cute and signifies the freedom of the US as you drive down the road and see it pecking at dead deer thats been there for a month.

Oh how cute.

On another note- I got pics of an owl and eagle fighting over a dead Rabbit in mid air. That was cool. Eagle won.
fitting. seeing as one of our nations other symbols(our president) is also picking over a corpse for scraps.

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
When I got married it was in Ludington at my wife's family home, and we thought it was pretty good luck to see a pair on the beach on our wedding day. They live in the Hydro project south of town, I think. But we see them pretty frequently in the summer up there. I've seen a pair on the Manistee river as well.

they may be scavengers, but man, do they look cool when they are flying. Huge birds.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts

Oh how cute.

At our cabin near Manistee I've seen bald eagles countless times - dozens every year, they're always around. I've never seen one on the side of the road picking up road kill - they're always cruising the river looking for fish.

Post the pics of the eagle and owl!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts