Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Durango-space-division
4,660 Posts
Are you seriously trying to say that you can't have a problem with alcohol addiction? You are absolutely fucking delusional if that is the case.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,061 Posts
Alcoholism is not fake. It has ruined a lot of lives including a couple people I know. One just drank himself to death at age 39. Another is in his 50's and has lost his wife, children, home and everything he owns. He just got out of jail for the umpteenth time and has NOTHING. His daughter just got married and she wouldn't even tell him she was getting married for fear of him showing up.

RE Dave not answering that he had a problem - I can't comment. It's his burden to bear.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1995 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4 1996 F150 4x4 4.9
13,172 Posts
I'm not arguing that people aren't alcoholics, or that it ruins lives. I just don't believe it's a disease.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1995 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4 1996 F150 4x4 4.9
13,172 Posts
You are splitting hairs. Google it and it's about 50/50. Either way, your comment above implies that you are scoffing at it.
Yea. It does kinda read that way. Not what I meant though. Addiction sucks, and ruins a lot of lives.

·
offensive 2 the sensitive
2,872 Posts
Bad things can happen to good people and I see both of your points. I just hope Dave can find a way to move forward in life and both families can find a way to forgive Dave for the mistakes he made so they can be as happy as possible. Im sure Dave would give his own life for Jeremys if he had the chance.

Reactions: swampjeep

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
^^^ x2

This was shitty for everyone. I and most people I know have been or dealt with alcoholism at some point in life. I do not think I know anyone who never did anything they regretted? I have knowingly gotten into a car as a driver and passenger knowing it was a risk. Smart=hell no! I hope Dave can get healthy, under control and have some peace after this.

·
81 inches of fun
14,297 Posts
Or he was a man and willing to take the sentence he deserved, instead of blaming fake disease for the crash.
I met with Dave before he went in. Devastated was an understatement, and this is exactly what he told me. It was his fault and he was not going to fight his fate. He was not going to hurt more people more by dragging it out. He did not want a reduced sentence. Honestly I was scared for him that he was going to end it after I left as he was in 'give away stuff' mode.

It was fucking awful, the whole thing. I did a UP trip with Dave in 2006, and we always made sure one of was safe to drive back then.

It has been 2 years already, damn.

·
Gustafson
10,621 Posts
I met with Dave before he went in. Devastated was an understatement, and this is exactly what he told me. It was his fault and he was not going to fight his fate. He was not going to hurt more people more by dragging it out. He did not want a reduced sentence. Honestly I was scared for him that he was going to end it after I left as he was in 'give away stuff' mode.

It was fucking awful, the whole thing. I did a UP trip with Dave in 2006, and we always made sure one of was safe to drive back then.

It has been 2 years already, damn.
Have you heard from him since?

I hope he is doing ok.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
I have not. I have wanted to write him a letter, but don't know what to say.

"It's not all bad, you missed out on a shitty politicized pandemic?"
I am sure he would appreciate anything. Remind him of fond memories. Talk about the fun had wheeling back in the day.

It was a horrible thing that happened, I sure hope he finds a way to productively move forward. I feel horrible for ss and his family and friends. I am unfortunately someone who drank and drove in the past, I as well as many other people like me are lucky to have never hurt/killed anyone.....

·
2,872 Posts
Anyone know if Dave got out in June?

·
2,872 Posts
Looks like he got out on the 14th. Hope he's doing okay

Reactions: SHARPMACHINE
201 - 218 of 218 Posts