Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Understood but the 4.8 is know for a higher rpm peak torque. I know this does nothing for most but randy think about the converter i had in my car, 2500 stall but very drivable. Let off the brakes at a light and the converter will move the car but under heavy throttle or brake torque it would stall to 2500 then drop in.
Which is how it "should" be. Most converters are rated at what RPM they will flash too (depending on all other factors though)
I ran a 5,500 on the street for a long time, and still run a 4k+ all the time. I'd be more concerned about heat than anything, but then again, I don't use my Jeep for anything like you're planning, so I don't know the affects of a higher stall in that scenario. For what you're doing, I'd just be more concerned on heat buildup from a higher stall.

·
The South Will Rise Again
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yea depending on terrain it can generate plenty of heat. Large trans cooler and gonna see it i can fit an oversized pan to help compensate.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I like the concept of shoehorn but i was thinking of something like a play on words... like project "LS is more" (a play on the term less is more for the small rig and small v8) idk something semi clever.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Been slacking off lately but got some work done today. 1.6 motor, trans and sami case ready to come out. Justt gotta pull motor mount bolts and give it all a yank!

The 3 will be going for sale fyi...

93 1.6 8v- my best guess is 160k ish miles and its coming out of a wheeler. That said it always starts and runs well thats about all i can guarantee.

93 tracker 2wd, 5spd trans- same miles possibly... smooth and quiet

Sami tcase w/ 6.5:1 gears and twisted tt shift rail kit. Works like a twin sticked case with 1 stick.

Selling all fairly cheap, message me for details if you want stuff before it hits the for sale forum.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Randy... yea nothing new. Ive been on vacation. Looking to make some headway in the next few weeks.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Unfortunately nope.... project is in limbo. Considering selling or parting out except ls motor. Havent touched it in forever. Could use the money for other things. Probably start fresh this winter.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts