Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The South Will Rise Again
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started life as a 93 2wd Geo tracke, or so ive been told... I bought it as a semi competent wheeling rig mostly as it sits now. Heres where I stand...

1993 Geo Tracker
1.6L efi tracker motor (Mitsubishi)
2Wd tracker 5spd
Divorced sami tcase w/6.5:1 gears and twisted tt shift rail kit
Late 60s international scout d44 front axle w/chevy outers and disc brakes
Leaf sprung on scout leafs
Full hydro steer with single ended ram
Mid 90s Nissan Pathfinder rear axle with cryo treated shafts
Cheesy 4 link job on coils
Full body with removable hard tops
Lame 4pt bolt in cage

THE PLAN!

Full tube front half
4.8L ls motor (lr4 from a truck)
Cam, springs, headers and tune (want to stay mild, still want to run the half ton axles.... for now)
TH350 manual vbody trans (likely reverse pattern)
Twin stick np205
2500 ish stall (4.8s gotta rev)
Keep d44 scout axle nd truss it
Double ended ram
3 link and coilovers w/air bumps
Integrated exo and interior cage hybrid

DOWN THE ROAD...

Possible full or partial back half
Additional cage work
Rework 4 link with stretch and air shocks

THE CANVAS!!!

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, ive seen ls1s and 350s in them. My advantage is gonna be that the whole front end will be custom tube so i have flexibility. Well see how it goes.... haha

·
Whoop Whoop
17,241 Posts
Right, ive seen ls1s and 350s in them. My advantage is gonna be that the whole front end will be custom tube so i have flexibility. Well see how it goes.... haha
just googled that. JESUS, that looks like fun. most look to be 2wd though. gotta run like a go cart. should shoe horn nicely :beerbang:

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im open to any clever or witty project nicknames. Im not afraid to give credit where its due if i "borrow" your suggestions. Lol

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea i wondered about that but all the reading ive done on wheeling/ crawling with a 4.8 you need the revz. Im not planning on running a real aggressive converter so low throttle it will still move under 2500 rpm it will just give extra grunt when ya wack the skinny pedal. I guess ill keep it in mind and if nothing else its something easy to change out if i find i dont care for it....

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,119 Posts
Yea i wondered about that but all the reading ive done on wheeling/ crawling with a 4.8 you need the revz. Im not planning on running a real aggressive converter so low throttle it will still move under 2500 rpm it will just give extra grunt when ya wack the skinny pedal. I guess ill keep it in mind and if nothing else its something easy to change out if i find i dont care for it....
It's an easy fix if you don't like it.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Understood but the 4.8 is know for a higher rpm peak torque. I know this does nothing for most but randy think about the converter i had in my car, 2500 stall but very drivable. Let off the brakes at a light and the converter will move the car but under heavy throttle or brake torque it would stall to 2500 then drop in.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One can only hope that TC problems are my biggest worry in this project. .. hahaha wishful thinking im sure.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts