Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put an 8.8 in the ZJ. Everything went fairly well and bolted back up, but the ABS snesors on the ZJ are different than the Exploder 8.8. On the ZJ each side has a sensor and cog on the ide of the axle shaft. On the 8.8, there is just a big cog on the back of the ring gear, that I assume is for the ABS sensor (the plug is on the top of the 8.8 pig).

So both of my sensors are just tied up out of the way, but the ABS light is going to anoy me. Anybody have a clue on how these systems work, and if I can just take the wires for both of my sensors and just tie them into the same sensor on the 8.8 ring gear? Or will this be way wrong, since the signal will be drastically different from the original signal?

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
I would just deal with the light.:tonka: I don't remember details but from reading the past about 8.8 swaps into Grand....the ABS is hard to make work or nearly impossible.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Since the ZJ uses individual wheel sensors, the 8.8 uses just the one it would be VERY hard to retrofit the 8.8's sensor.

Not impossible I guess... but very hard.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Since the ZJ uses individual wheel sensors, the 8.8 uses just the one it would be VERY hard to retrofit the 8.8's sensor.

Not impossible I guess... but very hard.
Yeah, the software in the ABS controller is completely different for a 3 vs 4 channel, and the number of pulses per revolution is also very different. Just disable the ABS and kill the light, thats all you can do, short or getting yourself a different axle. My group designed both of those ABS systems, back in the day..

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I have heard that some have had the tone rings machined or pressed onto the 8.8 shafts to allow the stock ABS to work. For me, 2 snipped wires and one or two pulled fuses later, the light was no longer an issue.

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I took pics, I could easily show why it is nearly impossible. But I'll try to explain.

The little flange at the end of the axle tube that holds the bakcing plat on are identical, but on the ZJ they are near the end of the tube while the 8.8 they are recessed in almost 1 1/2". The backing plates are identical except for the hole for the ABS sensor on the zj one. So to make the ZJ sensors work you would have to move the 8.8 flange hear the end of the tube AND get some longer shafts to make room for the sensor cog, and it would work!

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard that some have had the tone rings machined or pressed onto the 8.8 shafts to allow the stock ABS to work. For me, 2 snipped wires and one or two pulled fuses later, the light was no longer an issue.
The way I see it, you would need the tone ring installed (no big deal there is enough room for the tone ring and still enough finished journal for the seal and bearing), and the end of the tube cut off and the bearing and seal installed again, or longer shafts because there is no room for the tone ring the way it is set up now (see above post). So I don't know how that is possiblbe without a lot of headache.

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the software in the ABS controller is completely different for a 3 vs 4 channel, and the number of pulses per revolution is also very different. Just disable the ABS and kill the light, thats all you can do, short or getting yourself a different axle. My group designed both of those ABS systems, back in the day..
Hmm, then is it possible to use an ABS module out of an Exlporer? Would the front cogs or tone rings be the same amount of teeth as the ZJ? If it's just a matter of having an ABS system that is 3 point instead of 4, then what is the retro-fit? Got to be something to swap in here.

I know I'm making a big deal out of this, but this is a daily driver for me and the ol'lady, and ABS has made a difference for both of us in the past, and would like to keep it. Not only that, I think it is a cool thing to overcome and do a little web-writeup on it, cause I searched for months and couldn't find crap on the web about waping out a ZJ rear axle.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Hmm, then is it possible to use an ABS module out of an Exlporer? Would the front cogs or tone rings be the same amount of teeth as the ZJ? If it's just a matter of having an ABS system that is 3 point instead of 4, then what is the retro-fit? Got to be something to swap in here.

I know I'm making a big deal out of this, but this is a daily driver for me and the ol'lady, and ABS has made a difference for both of us in the past, and would like to keep it. Not only that, I think it is a cool thing to overcome and do a little web-writeup on it, cause I searched for months and couldn't find crap on the web about waping out a ZJ rear axle.
it would be nice if you did a write up cus when someday when i get around to it, something to reference would be nice.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
There is a way to make it work. Check out Mallcrawlin...people over there have done it. Personally, next summer when it comes time to swap in my 8.8 I'm just going to kill ABS all together.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts

The problem there ends up being the other inputs. ZJs use the CCD bus, Ford Explorer of that vintage is either dual wire J1850 or something like ISO-K.. i.e they aren't going to co-operate...

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem there ends up being the other inputs. ZJs use the CCD bus, Ford Explorer of that vintage is either dual wire J1850 or something like ISO-K.. i.e they aren't going to co-operate...
So, the module doesn't act on it's own? it also uses inputs from the computer, and talks to the computer? I thought just take out one mudule and put in another and as long as you know what wires are what then make it work.

So, it sounds like this has been done before, I guess I'll do some more searching.

After doing this, I wish I took pics. But as far as a write up is concerned, not much to talk about except make sure you measure and take good angles good and close before cutting off the brakets to resuse them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts