Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I have been ripping the ears off my inner shafts when the u-joint lets go. my outters which are alloys always have zero damange. if I go alloy front shafts and regular spicer 297x/760x u-joints will this just prevent the ears from ripping off and the u-joint will fail or do you think it will just move the weak point down to the ring and pinon?

this is with a hp dana 44 and 37"s btw.

·
5,820 Posts
well I have been ripping the ears off my inner shafts when the u-joint lets go. my outters which are alloys always have zero damange. if I go alloy front shafts and regular spicer 297x/760x u-joints will this just prevent the ears from ripping off and the u-joint will fail or do you think it will just move the weak point down to the ring and pinon?

this is with a hp dana 44 and 37"s btw.
the only reason the yokes of the shafts havent been damaged is because they are hardened as where the stock shafts are dead soft in the ears. It would not be a very smart thing to run chromoly shafts when you are blowing ujoints with stockers.

all or nothing, your lucky you havent screwed up your chromoly shafts yet too.

·
still goin
941 Posts
It is just as much when there is that much pressure applied, the shafts will actually deflect some and there is nothing holding them together. The caps on the u-joint will slide apart, as they are only pressed into the ears, but don't actually hold the ears together. I put ox-joints in my dana 44 back in the day, and they are designed to hold the ears together. Here is a link to the u-joints. I would recommend doing them, but only if you put chromoly's in as well.

http://www.oramagazine.com/archive/2004/08-august/0106-tech-oxu.asp

5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i am putting an alloy in one side for now since i got a good deal on it and cant find any stocker shafts to fit my app.

bosh,

I looked into alloys w/ ctm or ox's but at that point its so much money i mine as well just sell my axle and build a 60.

edit: front outters are alloy. front inners are stockers.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
CTMs or Bobby Long joints would prolly be you last joints purchased. But you're right, you get to the point where dumping money into a 44 gets annoying when you start thinkin how easy you could've got the last axle you'd ever need (60). :d:

fwiw, everyone I've known who ran ox-joints has a deep seated hatred for them and won't run em anymore.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
cant find any stocker shafts to fit my app.
I asked you for some clarification on that in your Wanted thread. If the info you posted is correct, there's a lot of them out there. Well, at least the one you are looking for.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,578 Posts
I have been running alloy shafts both inner and outer along with the Jantz joints available from Randy's Ring & Pinion.

I used to go thru at least 2 spicer joints a year. No problems now.

D44, 37's, 300 plus hp and not afraid to drive it.

Like 95geo said, you gotta do it all to make it right.

42,949 Posts
I have been running alloy shafts both inner and outer along with the Jantz joints available from Randy's Ring & Pinion.

I used to go thru at least 2 spicer joints a year. No problems now.

D44, 37's, 300 plus hp and not afraid to drive it.

Like 95geo said, you gotta do it all to make it right.

Jantz is backordered for 47203 years on those joints btw.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
Front D35's are the new hotness.
1. There is a Dana 35 front axle (but that's know how I was comparing it).

2. Everyone knows how easy it is to break a Dana 35 (this is how I was comparing it).

It's not as funny when you have to explain it :tonka:

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I run stock 44 shafts with old school bobby long cryo 760's.

83:1, 36's, no breaky breaky.

I carry one 760 and a spare set of loaded stock shafts with me on trail runs though.

As weak as everyone thinks a d44 shaft is... you would have though something like full lock climbing a rock half the size of the tire would break it like a twig...
http://jcroffroad.com/trips/Badlands 11-12-05/images/PB120049.jpg

Or how about a bouncing throttle down assault on a ledge?
http://jcroffroad.com/trips/Badlands 11-12-05/images/PB120052.jpg

60's have their place for sure. Some people need them. But those fawkers are HEAVY!

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Anyone ever use those hub fuses that are designed to break before the ujoint? They only take a couple minutes to change out. I'd rather do that than breaking ujoints and shafts. I've never seen them in action though.

I've never personally liked the idea of specifically adding a weak link. I see their point, but seems like it'd just get annoying to me. I'd rather overbuild everything else.

Especially since broken parts give a great excuse to upgrade :d:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts