Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been giving some thought to putting some axle seal things on, but the thought struck me the last few times I've had my shafts out. Whats the best way to actually clean the years of built up Mounds mud out of them things? Obviously you don't want to push it in further. Is there any way of inserting like a claw tool that expands once inside to scrape/scrub as you pull it out?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
take the shaft and carrier out, tilt it up and flush it out. you can also put some rags on an extension and push it through the tubes.

·
8,046 Posts
I just came in from doing this. I stripped everything from the axle and started with a large washer on a long hunk of threaded rod. This was used to scrape the major junk out. I then used brake clean and red shop rags. As you would to clean a gun(old fooseball table shaft to push rag). Repeated until rag came out clean. That's where I'm at as of now.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I just came in from doing this. I stripped everything from the axle and started with a large washer on a long hunk of threaded rod. This was used to scrape the major junk out. I then used brake clean and red shop rags. As you would to clean a gun(old fooseball table shaft to push rag). Repeated until rag came out clean. That's where I'm at as of now.
Thats the traditional way to do it.

I have closed knuckles, so I don't have any gunk in the tubes...

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Thats the traditional way to do it.

I have closed knuckles, so I don't have any gunk in the tubes...
Well not dirt anyway.

But you probably have the sweet Toyota grease oil sludge stuff. I love cleaning that stuff :sonicjay:

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Well not dirt anyway.

But you probably have the sweet Toyota grease oil sludge stuff. I love cleaning that stuff :sonicjay:
The new diamond housing has upgraded seals at both sides of the tube, so it should stay pretty clean. The inner seal is just outside the diff past the bearings, its supposed to keep the oil out of the tubes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts