Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
42,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while I will get something from an mp3, or activex, and I'll get popups.. Well I have always used hijackthis to remove the bad things and never had a problem.

Well I caught something really bad on my computer from a free tv streamer program I shouldn't have downloaded. The thing multiplied and I had 58 bad things on my computer. Needless to say hijackthis didn't help my issue. I tried adaware, spybot, mcafee, and nothing would clean it out..

Then I stumbled unto this:
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html#userreview

Malwarebytes is free to use, but they have a different version that does protection.. Anyways, ran the program and presto, every single thing is gone. It couldn't get one of the bad things, so it automatically rebooted 4 times and each time failed, and on the 5th it snagged it. Perfectly clean!

Thought I would share

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
I've been using and recommending Malwarebytes to people for awhile now. I have used it on probably 30 or so machines with 100% success rate. It will find many things that spybot and other spyware programs miss.

It's good stuff.

·
The land of Boredom..
4,224 Posts
i have had a few bugs for a few months now, and couldnt get rid of them, have tried everything, just downloaded this, and ran it, found 15 problems, and deleted them. sweet program!!!

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
best practice is to never trust an OS after it's been compromised.

Get it back to steady-state, save off any files, then reinstall. always.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Ive been runnin Avast for years (since my comp got fubard w junk) and havent had a blip. Has solved everyone elses issues that I know have installed it

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Malwarebytes is good. I like to run a scan on downloaded items like torrents before opening them.

·
Insomniac
1,117 Posts
Ran it last night. Took over an hour for a full scan, and did pick up one thing that the others didn't, so thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've tried to use after hearing other recommendations but my old desktop has so many issues it freezes up before malware can even start scanning.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
I've tried to use after hearing other recommendations but my old desktop has so many issues it freezes up before malware can even start scanning.
Boot into safe mode and run it.

I run a portable version of Malwarebytes. This way I can use it on other computers easily.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
2 hours, 47 minutes. 138 items. :sonicjay:
Guess the old McAfee wasn't doing that well.
That doesn't mean anything about McAfee. Virus softwares rarely do anything for adware or spyware. It means you are a bad internet user.

The time means you have either a big full hard drive, a slow hard drive, or a really slow computer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wrifrocks2005 here

WTF??? i just installed this and i now cant even turn on my laptop!!

it started the scan and about 2 mins in i got the blue screen of death.
restarted and it didnt even finish starting up and same thing.
tried to do a safe mode, wont even do that.
thanks for the awesome program.
excuse me while i go fix my shit:finger:

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
WTF??? i just installed this and i now cant even turn on my laptop!!

it started the scan and about 2 mins in i got the blue screen of death.
restarted and it didnt even finish starting up and same thing.
tried to do a safe mode, wont even do that.
thanks for the awesome program.
excuse me while i go fix my shit:finger:
That pretty much means your system was probably so jacked up, you're better off being locked out of it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts