Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 GMC sierra Z-71. truck produces a low groaning noise at speed. found out the t-case is stuck in 4wd. front axle engages and disengages normally but driveshaft is locked to t-case. when each 4wd button is pushed t-case motor shifts to that range. what would be possible causes? need some helpful information by tomarrow afternoon. thanks

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
Hmm.. I wish I could say for absolutely certain, but I think that when my 99 was doing that, I had to replace the encoder motor?? I think...

·
Built not bought!!
194 Posts
I've got a 2001 gmc 2500 with autotrac and the front driveshaft spins all the time, always has, figured it was normal. you might have a bad u-joint or output bearing

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm not very familiar with autotrac thats y i asked. i'll check u-joints

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
My front driveshaft was always engaged when I had the autotrac case. It did go through u joints pretty regularly. The front driveshaft is almost in a perfect straight line with the front axle so the u joints often froze up and started to vibrate a bit. I did also have to put 2 encoder motors in it in the 175,000 miles that I owned it.

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i've determined that the u-joints are toast and the slip shaft is siezed in the t-case. gonna fix that and see what happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts