Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Because I Said So...
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this jeep for about a month. First time I've had a lunchbox style locker...

I'm getting a POP when I take off in first gear. I thought it might be a loose control arm, so I took a look today. I tightened the bolts on the upper control arms a bit, everything else was real tight.

I can sit in my drive way and rock forward then back then forward, etc. I get a good POP each time I change direction.

I am familiar with the clicking around tight corners and the wheel hop on dry pavement, but the POP is new to me. Is this normal for an Aussie locker? If so, what is making that noise?

It's a 97 TJ 4.0/AX15/231/30/35

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
i doubt its the locker.....the locker shouldn't make any noise when moving forward/rearward....only when turning. How's your u-joints?

·
Because I Said So...
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i doubt its the locker.....the locker shouldn't make any noise when moving forward/rearward....only when turning. How's your u-joints?
The sound is coming from the rear. Are you thinking drive shaft? I'll have to check those u-joints a little closer. I checked for play in the drive shaft when I was under there and didn't notice any. I'll have to look a little closer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts