Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Pretty much as stated, the used ATV market is garbage. Prices are ridiculous, people want 5,000 for a 15 year old 4 wheeler, that's beat to shit and that's IF you find a used one. They are few and far between.

Unfortunately new is often the easiest way to get a good ATV; but even new the prices are ridiculous IMO. For brand, I lean towards Polaris because I feel they're the most comfortable and sharp looking; even if they lack in another area. I have had zero issues with belt drives and I ride both my Polaris' often. I work with them, and snow plow with both. I see that the people that complain about belt drives are driving how they're not supposed to. Not real sure how they do that, but I can only speak from my experience; which is heavy towing, plowing etc. Belts love rpm, so if you're moving slow use lo range, that's what it's for. I see people throw it in high and floor it to move a heavy load...etc.

I have a 2014 Sportsman 550 EPS and a 2008 Sportsman 800, I have yet to find the limit of the 550, and really I feel that 90% of people would be perfectly fine with a 500 class (570 for new) quad. Just judging by the amount and type of work that I use it for; the only limit I have found on the 550 is the tire traction in deep sand while pulling a food plot drag; I believe the tires are more the limiting factor than power. The 800 has much more aggressive tires on it, the 550 just has stock tires on it.

Couple years ago I went with a buddy of mine who, originally, "knew" he wanted a Yamaha Kodiak because that's what he rode before. We went to dealer and he drove one and was going to buy it. I told him to at leas drive the others, so he drove a Sportsman 450 HO, Honda, and a used I think can-am. He absolutely loved the sportsman because it was much more comfortable and had better throttle response. He ended up buying it, 2018 Sportsman 450 HO Utility Edition. Spent I believe $5,600 OTD. Which was a great price. the 450 is a great engine, and the utility edition took out the plastic racks replaced them with good metal ones, added a front hitch receiver and integrated front brush guard. Ended up costing the same as a plain jane 570. The 450 HO is a 499 CC engine and the 570 is a 567cc...so really you're looking at 68 cc difference. I'm sure the price has changed in the last 2 years though.

So, no matter what you're looking at brand wise, I say at least go test drive them all. I do believe that power steering is hugely worth it, but at the same time, it's like an extra 1,500-2,000 on top of the base price to get it. Can add your own power steering kit for a lot less. The only time I have had issues with the 550 is plowing huge snow piles and trying to stack it more than I should...IE drivng way up on teh hill, a few times snow has clogged in the front of the quad and caused the power steering to shut off. can still stear it no problem though. Never really didn't anything to fix it, couple times I just shut down the quad, fired it back up and it worked fine. Other times I parked it in the garage, let it thaw out and no problems. I've replaced the belts on both quads and they're both pretty easy. Belts range from $30 to $60, and took about 20-30 minutes to replace.

Prior to those two quads, I had a 2000 Polaris Magnum 325 and 1999 Xplorer 300; almost no issues with the magnum and I actually wish I had kept it, but the xplorer I had almost constant problems with, seemed like I was constantly fixing issues everytime I drove it.
Dude, you ever thought about being a product review writer?

You answered pretty much all my questions. I was leaning towards the larger 850 but will take a second look at the polaris 570 and the honda units as well. I like the polaris because of looks and brand name. I wasn't so sure about belt drive. You did clear up that issue for me. Belts are easier to replace than work on shaft drive. I do like the idea of quicker throttle response but, the pros and cons of both..... I'll go and test drive a few of them.

Thanks for your input.

· I'll Direc your TV
9,436 Posts
What can I say...I write what i'm passionate about lol

Like I said, test drive every brand, you never know. I do only own polaris, but I that's just my personal preference for that brand, another buddy loves Arctic Cat/Textron; I absolutely hate their quads. If I was really made of money, i'd be buying all Can-am.

The used market is just weird, where did all the quads go? I can't believe everyone is keeping theirs because the dealers were still selling like crazy. Though i'd probably never get rid of either of mine unless something happened and I needed the cash.

· Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Like I said, test drive every brand, you never know. I do only own polaris, but I that's just my personal preference for that brand, another buddy loves Arctic Cat/Textron; I absolutely hate their quads. If I was really made of money, i'd be buying all Can-am.

The used market is just weird, where did all the quads go? I can't believe everyone is keeping theirs because the dealers were still selling like crazy. Though i'd probably never get rid of either of mine unless something happened and I needed the cash.
Well before I make any purchases I will post and get your professional written review opinion (y)

· Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I have a 2018 sportsman 570 touring (2-up) that I bought new. I'm at 124 hours and 1900 miles, no issues so far.

It stays up north, I trail ride it in the summer and my mom plows with it in the winter. It has plenty of power, plows great and it's about as comfortable as they come. I've done a few 100+ mile trail rides on it and I'm not tired or beat up at the end of the day. I'll never own a machine without power steering again. Engine braking (ebs) takes a little while to figure out. I've only used 4wd on it a few times out riding, it usually does just fine in 2wd.

The only downside... It's big. 50" trails are tight and you're going to nail some stumps and roots. The stock steel wheels are thin and the 4ply tires don't hold up to rocks/stumps. I bent the shit out of the stock wheels and a stump took out the front tire. I have ITP steel wheels and Kenda Bear Claws on it now, they hold up just fine.

maintain it and they're fine. I haven't had any of the battery, VR, front diff or fuel pump issues that people bitch about but I also don't do stupid shit like go through 4' of water/mud, lift it or run the fuel low.

· I'll Direc your TV
9,436 Posts
maintain it and they're fine. I haven't had any of the battery, VR, front diff or fuel pump issues that people bitch about but I also don't do stupid shit like go through 4' of water/mud, lift it or run the fuel low.
pretty much IT in a nutshell. Don't beat the shit out of it like it owes you money. Seems like that's what a lot of people try and do, ride a stock/factory quad like they see ostacruiser on youtube; when they don't pay attention that those quads like that are $20,000+ machines.

· Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Well I went out yesterday and looked at a few, Polaris the 570 sportsman which is a nice machine and comfortable to sit on. Then I checked out the can am 650 Outlander XT. It was like night and day between the two. I didn't have the time to test ride as it was almost closing time and i didn't bring a helmet with me. Next time.
He did an out the door price for both. Just over ten grand for the Polaris with a plow and just over 13 grand for the can am with a plow. I will go back hopefully this week and do a test drive. For a few grand more I just might go for the can am. Its a beast.

· Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Well I went out yesterday and looked at a few, Polaris the 570 sportsman which is a nice machine and comfortable to sit on. Then I checked out the can am 650 Outlander XT. It was like night and day between the two. I didn't have the time to test ride as it was almost closing time and i didn't bring a helmet with me. Next time.
He did an out the door price for both. Just over ten grand for the Polaris with a plow and just over 13 grand for the can am with a plow. I will go back hopefully this week and do a test drive. For a few grand more I just might go for the can am. Its a beast.

In normal times you would be getting at least $1k off of msrp this time of year but these aren't normal times.

· Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I was kinda surprised he didn't offer any kind of discount off of msrp. I'll will be asking about it when I go back.
They probably won't.. Supply and demand. They aren't doing their end of the year promotion either. Used machines are through the roof right now and they can't keep new machines on the floor. I could sell my 570 right now for almost what I paid for it almost 3 years ago.

· Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
They probably won't.. Supply and demand. They aren't doing their end of the year promotion either. Used machines are through the roof right now and they can't keep new machines on the floor. I could sell my 570 right now for almost what I paid for it almost 3 years ago.
I know, everywhere I look I see 2,3,4 and 5 yr old machines selling for 2 and 3 grand less than new. I've checked two shops out. Maybe this weekend I'll head up to Brighton and see what they have.

· Registered
612 Posts
Ain’t no fawking way I’d pay 13k for a four wheeler. Prices are through the roof and demand is high but damn
You can buy a plow much cheaper aftermarket than factory
I’d still look at a 570 ranger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· I'll Direc your TV
9,436 Posts
Can Am's are fantastic quads. As you saw, they are priced accordingly as well. I would probably never buy one, unless I had a specific need that a Polaris just wouldn't do, or I suddenly had a lot of extra cash to use on an ATV. I haven't looked at prices in a while, but damn $10,000 for a 570? what in all fawk? Prices really have gone that high? 2 years ago that was a $6,000 quad.

I know, everywhere I look I see 2,3,4 and 5 yr old machines selling for 2 and 3 grand less than new. I've checked two shops out. Maybe this weekend I'll head up to Brighton and see what they have.
As I said, prices are ridiculous for used; when you find one. I had half a mind to sell my 800 just because I could probably get more than I originally paid for it.

Ain’t no fawking way I’d pay 13k for a four wheeler. Prices are through the roof and demand is high but damn
You can buy a plow much cheaper aftermarket than factory
I’d still look at a 570 ranger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I put aftermarket plows on 4 quads, and each totaled about $250-$300. That was searching for the plow, then buying the mount separate. You can get a whole plow kit from KFI for $400. I would never buy a snowplow from a dealer, unless I didn't have the cash, the plow was an absolute need and I could afford the tacked on payments. Seeing as how the cost differential isn't that much to either buy an aftermarket plow kit, or piece together one; if you can make payments on a quad, you can save up some scratch to buy a plow yourself. Saves you a buttload more money in the long run doing it that way.

· Red Dragons!
2,045 Posts
When I picked up mine they had a Kolpin plow next to the Polaris plow. The Kolpin seemed cheap. Thinner material and not as tall. So pay close attention to that. And if going to Brighton means C and C sports I would think twice about that too. They are very proud of the stuff they sell there. Never been thrilled with them.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.