Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ecoyne
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I use my own domain name with own mail server to send mail?

Everytime I attempt it using my own mailserver, I get refused and the message is stuck in the outbox.

I know that I can use an att.net account and adjust the reply to so that it comes back to my domain name and POP to receive it, but that's not what I'm trying to do...

I'm currently using mail.att.yahoo.com as my outgoing mailserver.

Thanks...

·
AKA GreyShrink
521 Posts
I think that the outgoing e-mail server has to be listed as: smtp.att.yahoo.com

Just like the inconming server has to be listed as: pop.att.yahoo.com

That's the way it is for me, but then my domain is sbcglobal.net

But I think the servers are the same for both domain names.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
There is this whole "registering" process that has to happen.

you have to go to your yahoo account, add the email address' you want to be able to send from.
then it sends you a confirmation email you have to click a link in

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
steps
1) sign into yahoo mail
2) go to "Account info"
3) top right of that page under "alternate email" click edit
4) add desired email address, save changes and follow directions in the authentication email.

also make sure your send mail settings are correct, including the proper port number

Settings for Uverse
Pop: pop.att.yahoo.com - SSL required - Port 995
SMTP: SMTP.att.yahoo.com - SSL required - port 465 - Authentication same as login

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
I'm not fully understanding. Are you looking to use a yahoo email address or literally your own domain, hosted on your own server?
If you're looking to host your own domain/email account you need to purchase a static IP from ATT and set up as a business account. I'm currently doing that and it doesn't cost much more AND they give you five static IP addresses.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
How can I use my own domain name with own mail server to send mail?

Everytime I attempt it using my own mailserver, I get refused and the message is stuck in the outbox.

I know that I can use an att.net account and adjust the reply to so that it comes back to my domain name and POP to receive it, but that's not what I'm trying to do...

I'm currently using mail.att.yahoo.com as my outgoing mailserver.

Thanks...
Ask att.net to allow a port 25 exception (it's listed somewhere on their site). Then you can send mail through your own domain.

att.net blocks port 25 connections to anywhere other than their servers, unless opted out of.

You can then use yourodmain.com as your outgoing mailserver.

·
ecoyne
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was it, thank you all very much. I had to call them and request them to remove the Port 25 block...

Damn, I wish I would have done that 6 months ago!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts