Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drive way is roughly 50'x30'. I talked to a guy that said they can pour a 3" thick asphalt drive for around $3k.

Does that sound reasonable? Is 3" the right thickness? What else should I look or ask about?

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
The asphalt will only be as good as the subgrade and base.
The subgrade should be undistured soil or compacted.
For the bse it should be a minimum of 6" thick crushed gravel.

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sub grade will be compacted. There will be some digging to remove the drainage culvert at the end of the drive. As well as to remove the broken concrete at the garage.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
$2.00/ft sounds awfully cheap based on what I see in our appraisal cost manuals. Even more so if he's claiming he'll do base work for you.

That being said, it is a pretty tough economy here in Michigan these days...

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
They use 23a up here , it packs tighter .

3 k sounds like a good price to me from what i have seen . Id exspect more like 4 k with pulling out cement and swapping out a culvert . Ask around the area about the company . Make damn sure there not some gypsies .

Most of the drives we have bee hauling for are 2.5 " deep . What grade of ashpalt makes a difference too , larger stone holds up better , smaller stone makes a nicer looking job and is top coat . Large stone is base coat and is what they normally have . That has more to do with what they can get from the plant and they dont have much choice in it .

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
Price sounds good. 3" is overkill for a driveway...but whatever thickness they tell you they are doing make sure you get it. Many companies will say 2" and give you only 1".

Also with your contract to him, check and make sure the excavation and grading of the base is included. Also ask for references, and take a look at some of his past work. I see many companies around our area give great prices, but you get what you pay for some time.

Like Marv said make sure they are not some gypsies. They come and go every summer and take many people for a ride while they are hear. Did you call to have your driveway done, or did this guy stop by and solicit his work?

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I will be removing the old cement and culvert myself to save a few $$.

As for the rest the info is appreciated. I'll check into the things you advised.

I just happened to be talking to the guy today as I was having a hitch installed on the work van. We got to talking and he mentioned he did asphalt. He did say he can give references from up to 10 years back. Said they are a local company that has been around for quite a while. I'll have to double check that, along with some of the jobs they have done.

Thanks again.:rock:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,459 Posts
I just paid $3K for my asphalt driveway & another $1800 for prep. 2000 square feet.

I used Allied for the asphalt and Hogan excavating for the prep work.

There were others that were cheaper but I used these same guys 15 years ago at my other house and they did a good job.

And they did a good job this time. They scheduled it and even called me at home the preceeding Sunday night to verify the schedule. Very professional.

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
I just paid $3K for my asphalt driveway & another $1800 for prep. 2000 square feet.

I used Allied for the asphalt and Hogan excavating for the prep work.

There were others that were cheaper but I used these same guys 15 years ago at my other house and they did a good job.

And they did a good job this time. They scheduled it and even called me at home the preceeding Sunday night to verify the schedule. Very professional.
Allied is an excellent company.......now that Quagmire doesn't work there anymore:tonka:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts