Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
№ ™℮ Ђ ώº®қ Θה ς├│‡ﺝ
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true, my friend works at a shop and sent this to me.

As of yesterday, all the OEMs had to pull for sale all new youth minicycles and atvs for those under the age of 13...this under order of the CPSC due to lead content of plastics and certain metals. As of yesterday, a dealer or private individual can no longer provide parts or service, to these affected machines, in which there is a possibility that those same parts may contain lead...no oil changes, plastic, levers, engine cases, etc, etc..goggles, helmets, clothing, knee braces..you name it. You may think that is just for new machines, but it is for everything new and used.

The CPSC also ruled that machines under 85cc are considered toxic to the health of young children.

Effective yesterday, Honda has pulled replacement parts from their service system for these machines pending lead certification...this takes 400 days. KTM, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are doing the same thing. If you have a 1,2,3 year old machine, you won't be able to buy most parts for it very soon.

Yamaha is sending out restrictions to its dealers saying that an 85cc bike can only be sold, and should only be operated by someone over the age of 13.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,519 Posts
from Autoextremist.com, I LOL'd:

Zack Bartell. The 12-year-old, who was taking a dirt-bike riding lesson at School for Dirt's track next to Kawasaki Motors' U.S. headquarters in Irvine, CA, was asked by USA Today what he thought about the ban on off-road motorcycles and recreational vehicles built for young riders to protect children from lead in toys. He had this to say: "Are you kidding? This is silly. There's no way I'm going to stick a motorcycle part in my mouth." And that's our AE Quote of the Week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts