Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a dirt cheap bone stock 4cyl 97 TJ, and a customer of mine happens to be getting rid of nearly-new 37" tires on rims. I have a feeling if I say I want them he'll practically give them to me. I don't know the exact size yet, haven't even looked at them. I planned on just getting a mild lift and 33's, as I do need to drive this like 20/30 miles a week for my DD but want it to be capable for the occasional trail rides. But if I can get these 37" tires cheaper than 33's, what the hey....

So my question is, how much will I have to change to run 37" tires, or should I not even attempt it? And if it's do-able, is it do-able for under $4k?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regear and never leave the pavement.
:stan:

No shit I'll have to regear, but I want to be sure the 4-banger will even have enough balls to move with such big tires, how much of the body will I have to cut off, what am I looking at as far as fenders, what size lift can I get away with, etc.

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
OK, cutting the body depends on how much you want to lift. 3 inch lift can clear 33's, I am pretty sure if I cut a little more I can fit 35's to 37's.

Your 4 banger will hate life.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As long as it doesn't jump off a bridge anytime soon I'll be ok. BUT it would give me a reason to throw a 350 in :naughty:

I'd rather cut as much as possible than get a bigger lift than I need. I've seen a couple companies that make tube fender kits, what do you recommend? Any that I should stay away from?

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Yeah, you can't be capable for mild trail rides without at least 40's nowadays

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
Yeah, you can't be capable for mild trail rides without at least 40's nowadays
bwahahahahaha tooo true, too true.

Honestly I want to say even thought the tires are free the amount you'll spend on everything else will add up fast.

stick with the 33" plan and i think you'll be happier. especially if it's a daily driver

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bwahahahahaha tooo true, too true.

Honestly I want to say even thought the tires are free the amount you'll spend on everything else will add up fast.

stick with the 33" plan and i think you'll be happier. especially if it's a daily driver
:thumb: thanks

that was my first thought but... sooo... tempting.... I'm a sucker for cheap stuff.

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
it's more work than your looking for, and will not cooperate on the roads as nice ad you want it too. stick to the 33's, give me the 37's

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
:stan:

No shit I'll have to regear, but I want to be sure the 4-banger will even have enough balls to move with such big tires, how much of the body will I have to cut off, what am I looking at as far as fenders, what size lift can I get away with, etc.
4.88s is the steepest you can go with those d30/d35.. which is about perfect for 33s.. for 37s you need to be in the 5.29 5.71 range..

4.5" lift (preferaby long arm and sye) and a 1.25bl you should be able to fit them ..

i wouldnt say that it is ideal by anymeans but hey .. i ran 33x10.5s on just a 1.25 BL :D

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
. 3 inch lift can clear 33's,

:sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

you can fit 33" on 2" lift its tight but mostly backspacing issues.

your four banger coment im gona agree with.
mine hates 33's but dose ok

you could probably fit 37 on 3" lift
but then your looking at posability of stock axel failures on trails

stock suspension and 35's here
http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbuild/154_0503_1998_jeep_wrangler_tj_tire_fitting/fitting_35s.html

http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbuild/154_0504_1998_jeep_wrangler_tj_rear_tires/index.html

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts

·
I Understand
268 Posts
Great Lakes Truck Outfitters in Jackson makes front and rear tube fenders. That will help you fit 37s, but won't help with power.
There number is 1-866-TRUCK-A1 or 517-206-5874. Located by the Jackson Menards right off US 127 South

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
I can fit 37's on 4" lift but my jeep hate me :(

And I like the plazma cuttah

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
google rev111......they make tube fenders that raise up in the middle a bit. it'll open up the wheel opening alot more. jeep did an article a while ago (link posted a few posts up) with 35's on a stock jeep. so you could do a small budget boost and open the wheel wells, and it'd be doable. but i would also agree on the axles not having enough gearing options to run 37's.

but if the tires are free or nearly free, then i would take them anyways........like i always tell my wife........"if it's free, i'll take it anyways. i'll either make it fit someday, or i can sell it later".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts