Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dana 30 ARB won't lock, it doesn't leak air, the line is not crimped any where, and the line at the diff has oil in it but is getting air. Am I correct in thinking that my bonded seal took a dump or my oil rings are shoot?

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Does the compressor cycle?

If the compressor doesn't cycle (but does run) I would pull the line at the diff and make sure there is pressure there. If there is and there aren't any leaks something inside the ARB itself is broken.

If the o-rings are bad it will leak pressure and the compressor will constantly run.

·
Yankabilly
7,944 Posts
also check the solenoid if there isn't any air loss, long shot but worth checking

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the compressor cycle?

If the compressor doesn't cycle (but does run) I would pull the line at the diff and make sure there is pressure there. If there is and there aren't any leaks something inside the ARB itself is broken.

If the o-rings are bad it will leak pressure and the compressor will constantly run.
I pulled the line off at the axle and I have air. The compressor will not run constant.

I did get it to lock yesterday but I had to pull the air line off then re-attach it. That is how I found out I have diff fluid in the line. After that it was a bitch to get unlocked.

I think my copper pipe at the seal housing is broke. I had to re-silver solder it when I bought it. So I think I'll order a new one and that should solve my problem.

Also, what would it do if the bonded seal is shoot?

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
If the compressor is not running / cycling constantly, it is not a leak.

Maybe the copper line got kinked inside the diff.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the compressor is not running / cycling constantly, it is not a leak.

Maybe the copper line got kinked inside the diff.
Ok, but why did it lock once a pulled the air line off, some fluid came out, then reconnected it? Seems like it was hydrolocked.

Should there be dff fluid in the air line? Seems to me there shouldn't be any.

·
Yankabilly
7,944 Posts
It could be kinked like mentioned, and when it finally locked in it was locked. And the kink held enough air pressure to keep it locked. Until it bleed done again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts