Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was just gathering up some change out of his piggy bank and we came across this strange penny. It is actually gold in color....not the normal penny color. It is a 1978 penny. The back side seems to have some of the gold plating worn off and it looks to be silver colored under the gold color.

Any ideas about this thing?

·
I'm a Newb (but not dumb)
94 Posts
^^^ did it in high school something about acids and reactions to different metals or something like that.

Edit: the only pennies not made from copper or plated with copper are the 1945 steel pennies.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Hmm, I used to do that when I was young, but haven't any time recently.

I thought 82 or 83 was the switch over year for pennies, where they stopped being coppre and started being zinc. Today they are mainly zinc, as the copper value of a penny would make it cost more than it's worth to make them.

Maybe they made some test runs to work on the zinc pennies..

·
Small, but talented
2,749 Posts
I don't collect, but a couple years ago we were playing Tripoli <Thanksgiving tradition>

Mom dumped out a jar of pennies, I found a 1917d wheatie.
Not sure if it's worth anything, but I kept it.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts
^^^ did it in high school something about acids and reactions to different metals or something like that.
lol.....only thing I did with pennys in highschool was heat them up just right over the bunsen burner then fling them at the wall. They would stick just like spit balls. If you did one just right it would splatter. :d:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts