Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I meant to check back in on this, but my grill is running great! Mine is the newer prime version and I had a couple issues with the movable heat shield and the bolt twisting the threads out, but GMG has the great customer service and has sent me a few replacements without issue.

I've cooked and smoked all kinds of stuff on this thing, the two most memorable were the Pizzas and some cookies we baked after we used it to cook.

I'm going to throw our thanksgiving turkey in the brine bucket tonight or tomorrow morning and plan to use the GMG!

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
I currently don't have one, but I'm going in 2 weeks to pick one up from Grilla Grills. Based out of Holland MI. Seem to be a great company, people seem to love their products, and the support that I have received without even owning one of their products yet sold me on them. Check them out.

grillagrills.com

@SolLess

Did you get a Grilla Grill? I am in the market for a new smoker and I think i am going the pellet route. I am currently looking at the original Grilla (Grilla pro) and wondered if you every purchased one.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
@SolLess

Did you get a Grilla Grill? I am in the market for a new smoker and I think i am going the pellet route. I am currently looking at the original Grilla (Grilla pro) and wondered if you every purchased one.
I like those, but I like my wifi features more :teehee:

I just wish GMG would have increased their quality on the new models, but I am seeing a lot of problems on the new Prime versions

·
08' Unlimited JK "X"
350 Posts
I like those, but I like my wifi features more :teehee:

I just wish GMG would have increased their quality on the new models, but I am seeing a lot of problems on the new Prime versions
Grilla Grills is releasing a wifi board sometime this fall, said to be retrofittable to their old grills, so I should have the best of both worlds. I will say, that after over a year of ownership, I really don't see the need for wifi. Just my opinion.

·
08' Unlimited JK "X"
350 Posts
@SolLess

I did. I got their silverbac alpha controller just over a year ago. Definitely a little bit of a learning curve, and you have to change up how you are used to cooking if you have been using gas. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get the grill up to high temps (450-500), and a lot of people will say that you don't get as much smoke flavor as you do with a regular stick burner, but I have loved the food that has come off my grill, and no issues to date.

If you have facebook, take a look at their facebook page, you can get a great idea about their service and quality as well as a lot of recipes and the such.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Grilla Grills is releasing a wifi board sometime this fall, said to be retrofittable to their old grills, so I should have the best of both worlds. I will say, that after over a year of ownership, I really don't see the need for wifi. Just my opinion.
I use mine for nearly every cook, but I never babysat a stick burner either. I throw a pork butt on, and monitor via wifi maybe spritzing every couple hours then take the compliments on the food.

I haven't used the programs, but some people like them.

Best lazy bbq I ever had :sonicjay:

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I like my GMG prime but I have had some issues, that being said GMG customer service has been outstanding and I have replacement parts within a few days. If I weren't patient or handy I might have a different story as currently I had an ignitor burn out and I am waiting on replacement parts.

That being said I love the pellet grill/smoker in general and use the shit out of it! And since it was debated last year when I bought it, looking back the $100 upcharge was well worth the money for the WiFi.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
This is great to know! I was on the fence on if I needed / wanted WIFI or not. Now I know if I get the Grilla I have the option down the road.

I did. I got their silverbac alpha controller just over a year ago. Definitely a little bit of a learning curve, and you have to change up how you are used to cooking if you have been using gas. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get the grill up to high temps (450-500), and a lot of people will say that you don't get as much smoke flavor as you do with a regular stick burner, but I have loved the food that has come off my grill, and no issues to date.

If you have facebook, take a look at their facebook page, you can get a great idea about their service and quality as well as a lot of recipes and the such.
How would you say the level of smoke is? Have you done any low and slow cooks on your Silverbac? I am one who likes the smokey flavor, but not to the point that it's all you taste. This is why I thought a pellet grill / smoker would get me the level of smoke I like. The Grilla seems to be touted as more of a smoker / grill which is why I was going to choose it over the Silverbac.

·
08' Unlimited JK "X"
350 Posts
I would say that it is pretty good. It's definitely more mild than you would get from a standard stick burner. It still can give a great smoke ring (ribs are by far my favorite thing to cook on my grill) but I have done some longer cooks, like a couple 8-10 hour bone in pork buts to make shredded pork, and I did cook a turkey breast in it for thanksgiving after brining it in the fridge for a day, and it was awesome, that was like a 6 hour cook. I have not done a brisket yet, as I wanted to wait until I got the hang of the grill and trusted it before doing a 12-14 hour cook on it. That will be coming this spring/summer for sure.

The type of pellets makes a huge difference on smoke flavor as well.

Also when all this covid crap is over, I highly recommend going to check them out in person at their showroom. They will give you some extras when you are there (sauce, rub, shirt, hat and a bag of pellets, plus he will let you throw a single cornhole bag to try to win other things)

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
I would say that it is pretty good. It's definitely more mild than you would get from a standard stick burner. It still can give a great smoke ring (ribs are by far my favorite thing to cook on my grill) but I have done some longer cooks, like a couple 8-10 hour bone in pork buts to make shredded pork, and I did cook a turkey breast in it for thanksgiving after brining it in the fridge for a day, and it was awesome, that was like a 6 hour cook. I have not done a brisket yet, as I wanted to wait until I got the hang of the grill and trusted it before doing a 12-14 hour cook on it. That will be coming this spring/summer for sure.

The type of pellets makes a huge difference on smoke flavor as well.

Also when all this covid crap is over, I highly recommend going to check them out in person at their showroom. They will give you some extras when you are there (sauce, rub, shirt, hat and a bag of pellets, plus he will let you throw a single cornhole bag to try to win other things)
Hmm.... Well now I am on the fence about which one is better for me. Grilla or Silverbac. Thank you for sharing your real world experience. I appreciate it!!

I'm ready to buy now, so waiting to go the showroom won't work, but that is cool they do that stuff.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Hmm.... Well now I am on the fence about which one is better for me. Grilla or Silverbac. Thank you for sharing your real world experience. I appreciate it!!

I'm ready to buy now, so waiting to go the showroom won't work, but that is cool they do that stuff.
There are options to get more smoke flavor like a smoke tube, or cold smoke generator (Smoke Daddy)

I find that 200-225 is a great place and get good smoke on mine, then If I want the extra I add on one of the others.

·
08' Unlimited JK "X"
350 Posts
There are options to get more smoke flavor like a smoke tube, or cold smoke generator (Smoke Daddy)

I find that 200-225 is a great place and get good smoke on mine, then If I want the extra I add on one of the others.
Agreed. Anything over 250 isn't too much smoke, still there, but not as much. I haven't found the need for a smoke tube, but to me sometimes the really smokey flavor will overwhelm the flavor of the food. While I am considering buying a gas grill for fast cooks, I have come to really enjoy using the pellet grill and don't mind planing ahead to get longer cooks and better tasting food.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Agreed. Anything over 250 isn't too much smoke, still there, but not as much. I haven't found the need for a smoke tube, but to me sometimes the really smokey flavor will overwhelm the flavor of the food. While I am considering buying a gas grill for fast cooks, I have come to really enjoy using the pellet grill and don't mind planing ahead to get longer cooks and better tasting food.
I like my jerky, burgers and bacon smokey. It drives my wife nuts because burgers will take an hour and a half. I smoke for an hour then sear them, sooo tasty.

I have a nice 15 year old Weber gas, but I need to buy new flavorizer bars and grates. I've had a hard time justifying it when it's only used for hot dogs and searing. It's not running right. I haven't hardly touched it though since I got my pellet grill.

·
08' Unlimited JK "X"
350 Posts
I like my jerky, burgers and bacon smokey. It drives my wife nuts because burgers will take an hour and a half. I smoke for an hour then sear them, sooo tasty.

I have a nice 15 year old Weber gas, but I need to buy new flavorizer bars and grates. I've had a hard time justifying it when it's only used for hot dogs and searing. It's not running right. I haven't hardly touched it though since I got my pellet grill.
For sure. No flip burgers are awesome! Reverse sear on steaks are the same way, smoke slow and low for about an hour, and then I pan sear in cast iron.

The Grilla Pellet grill is my only grill, as i purchased it to replace a 10 year old el-cheapo gas grill from Home Depot. Looking at maybe either getting a 2-3 burner Webber gas grill next year, or a blackstone griddle, haven't decided yet.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts

I have a very nice Weber Genesis as my current daily grill. I am not looking to replace it, more like compliment it with a pellet grill / smoker. It's nice to know that you can do all of your cooking (aside from hot dogs and searing) on the pellet grill.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I have a very nice Weber Genesis as my current daily grill. I am not looking to replace it, more like compliment it with a pellet grill / smoker. It's nice to know that you can do all of your cooking (aside from hot dogs and searing) on the pellet grill.
You can do hot dogs and searing on a pellet grill. I just find it's a waste of pellets to run it to 300-500 for hot dogs, and to do a sear it takes a bit to make a jump from 225 to 500, it's way easier to have another grill/pan heated up for the sear.

You also really need to do a thorough cleaning if you want to run 500, because the grease starts burning off from the long smokes. Mine has a 'grease gasket' around the lid openings :sonicjay:

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
You can do hot dogs and searing on a pellet grill. I just find it's a waste of pellets to run it to 300-500 for hot dogs, and to do a sear it takes a bit to make a jump from 225 to 500, it's way easier to have another grill/pan heated up for the sear.

You also really need to do a thorough cleaning if you want to run 500, because the grease starts burning off from the long smokes. Mine has a 'grease gasket' around the lid openings :sonicjay:
This is great info! Thank you for posting this! This is all new to me, so any info is much appreciated.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
This is great info! Thank you for posting this! This is all new to me, so any info is much appreciated.
Yeah, I get above 450 and my grill wants to catch fire all the time. I keep it clean for my low slow cooks, but I am guessing it has enough in the nooks and crannies, combined with I tend to neglect to change my foil before burgers/dogs/searing. As a result most of my cooks are under 350, typically 225-250. If I need to sear or whatever I use the other grill/pan.

With pellet grills that flare up can sometimes melt the fans that keep it running.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
Yeah, I get above 450 and my grill wants to catch fire all the time. I keep it clean for my low slow cooks, but I am guessing it has enough in the nooks and crannies, combined with I tend to neglect to change my foil before burgers/dogs/searing. As a result most of my cooks are under 350, typically 225-250. If I need to sear or whatever I use the other grill/pan.

With pellet grills that flare up can sometimes melt the fans that keep it running.
Good to know. I give my Weber a thorough cleaning every fall, but when theres build up from a previous cook I typically crank it up and burn it off. Good to know this is not an option with a pellet grill / smoker.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts