Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just wondering if anyone goes to silver lake more then once every 5 years haha just wanted to know how strict they are on sound and what weekends coming up that will have a lot of people there and fun, Thanks!

·
Last Free Man
10,836 Posts
Except for holiday weekends the dunes are not really packed. There is a nice crowd on Fridays and Saturdays. Rest of the week it is slow. They do check for spark arrestor. I have never seen them test for sound, but that doesn't mean they don't. You can look up the db level that is acceptable on DNR website.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks my dad went there for 14 years like 4 times a summer so i grew up around it but then he sold it when i was ten and im 21 now and trying to find a jeep CJ7 so i can go have some fun. Ive been there like a thursday 2 years ago just to check it out and just seems like all there are is quads.

·
WWSD - What would stan do
11,206 Posts
I got popped there on my quad about 5 years ago for sound. probably because it was an open stinger pipe with a sparky clamped on the end of it... :teehee:

it was right when they started enforcing the sound rules and I was running a pretty hefty drag pipe on my 250.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha yea when i do get a CJ i wanted to put just fenderwell headers to purple horneys and just wondering if that would get me in trouble because of no baffles. I think its lame how they check sound

·
Insomniac
1,117 Posts
I think its lame how they check sound
Honestly, I wouldn't want to be around a bunch of rigs running open headers.

I've been going there for the last 20 years, lately go during the week when camping in Ludington, and a lot less crowded. I would recommend for a newbie doing that, just to get the hang of driving without having to look out for everyone else.

·
Camel Buggy
752 Posts
I've run Jeeps and Dune buggies up in the dunes latley. Since I had an indirect style turbo muffler on the Jeep they don't require a spark arrestor. But on the Dune Buggie I got a Little Sparky on the end of the baffle. I keep the RPM's down when driving through the check area - low gear, low sound. They check for ORV and State Park stickers, look at the mufflers, glance at the flag and wave you on...I'm not running anything loud so I can't comment on sound check. On occasion they ask about a cooler, glass bottles or look at the seatbelts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea open headers is to loud but i just like the look of the side exhaust with fenderwell headers. Yea i planned on going on a tuesday when I am ready and have my dad go with me because i have heard a lot of stories of people not letting off in time and jumping the dunes then breaking a lot of stuff or even totals. Has anyone been to the dunes in the early 90s thats when my dad and his buddies would go and his jeep was very noticable and so is my uncles truck maybe someone remembers them j/w

·
More boost than yours:)
1,252 Posts
I got probed a lot with the old mufflers on my jeep. They looked like glasspacks, but were not. I always got in without trouble. I changed them out to a cheap flowmaster imitation that is a lot louder, but have never been looked at. There is some pretty loud stuff there, but if you just idle in the parking lot they won't check you.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Why would you want something loud and annoying anyway

·
Insomniac
1,117 Posts
I agree, I used to have fenderwell headers and cherry bombs on my old CJ-5 back in college. As long as there are some sort of "muffling device" attached, I wouldn't expect any issues.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Why would you want something loud and annoying anyway
Believe me, we don't. But... it's not that easy to quiet down high HP with the small space of a Jeep.
I have seen a handful of Jeeps out there with "cherry bomb" type mufflers and I do not understand how they pass. But like others have said, they've been pretty good about it as long as you're trying and aren't free revving at 6K going through the check lane :)
I have only ever seen them check quads for spark arrestors, but have seen vehicles get checked for sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts