Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The guy Dale doesn't know
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of putting some money into a small cam, intake, header and holley 4bbl for my 300-6. anyone with any expirience on this? thoughts?

i am mainly concerned about reliability. thats why i went with a 300 in the first place.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Done it LONG ago on a f150...think that was my 78...maybe 79. Made a good bit of difference. All I did was cam, better pistons, 4bbl and intake....little port matching, nothing hard core. It was an Offy intake....back then it was the ONLY option and Jc Whitney was about the only place you could get it.

Revved a bit higher and had quite a bit more pull in the higher RPM range. The old 300's didn't have much over 3000rpm.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
I got one in my 83' bronco.. It's got chevy EFI, offenhauser single plane and dual outlet (efi) manifolds. It revs to 4800 (according to stock tach)
There is a video I posted on here awhile ago of me blowing out my front end with it...its rippin pretty good
check out www.fordsix.com for all of your performance needs....most runs run chevy rockers (1.6) and a cam....some have gone to great lengths and modified 351M pistons to work and there is even an aluminum head in the works...

edit:
heres the link
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2023022581

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great engine, great choice for reliabilty. Make sure you use the steel crank gear / cast iron cam gear with the FINE teeth. These engines have great potential, they were just choked by the 1 bbl carb and later FI engines used the too small throttle body. The ports and valve are bigger and better than stock 302/351W, bigger bearings, etc.
Chucks Engine ( Westland 734-727-1760 ) used to have a bunch of forged steel cranks ( fully counterweighted, great flywheel effect, may not rev as fast though ), they have moved a couple times since I was there - give Ricky a call at the number above. Keep us updated on how it runs for you.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
fantastic motors for reliability had one in each of our stick shift vans (83 and 85 E150's).

·
WWSD - What would stan do
11,206 Posts
I got one in my 83' bronco.. It's got chevy EFI, offenhauser single plane and dual outlet (efi) manifolds. It revs to 4800 (according to stock tach)
There is a video I posted on here awhile ago of me blowing out my front end with it...its rippin pretty good
check out www.fordsix.com for all of your performance needs....most runs run chevy rockers (1.6) and a cam....some have gone to great lengths and modified 351M pistons to work and there is even an aluminum head in the works...

edit:
heres the link
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2023022581

listen to this dood.

His shit RUNS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts