Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
Fwiw, I didn't mean what I said as the only problem, just making light that I believe it is one of many reasons. I also didn't mean just on this site. The issues are rampant through many or most forums. While here or on pirate you may be attacked for being a lazyass or pussy or hack for buying a 5.5" long arm kit for your tj instead of building your own three or four link, on other forums you'd be considered a hack for doing it yourself and asking about suspension geometry when there are billions spent on r&d in the "kits".

Here we shame mud trucks and send people away because mud is for fags and their trucks are all poorly built and they're all rednecks. (Which is apparently a bad thing) Yet a huge part of our sport is mud running and those into rocks or trails or sand or snow, often came from a mud background.

There are obviously different levels of sensitivity in different people, but forums mostly have a poor approach to dealing with them. Between my friends and I, it's hard to have a conversation without calling each other a boneshiner or fag or gay or douche, or tard, or democrat, so I don't have a problem on this site, as many peoplehere are much the same. But I shy away from sites that are heavily policed for any insult or questionable impression, because they are boring as two sloths watching c-span while simultaniously practicing tantric sex.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
I never post on Pirate due to the name calling. When I have, it hasn't gone all that well. I argued with one of the regular big names once about something and it didn't go well for me.

The bigger difference for me about here vs Pirate is that this is a local/statewide community where we actually get to wheel with each other. It's fun to banter with someone that you actually see in the woods. IE @firehawk and us going back and forth about racing. Both of us know that I will never race him but I still call him a pussy for evading me. :sonicjay:

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,385 Posts
I am missing the forum seen more and more also. I am hopeful that our forums will get a little active as more people get burnt out on da social media sights....

·
Live Action!
15,750 Posts
You are all assholes and I blame myself. So I'm going to kick all your asses. Think I'm a puss them show up at the next event and get your asses handed to ya, even you old man whiner.

I miss this place but realize some people do get into other stuff and don't come here anymore. A lot of this sport is all over facebook.

Honestly if was an easy as facebook to post pics I think it would help. The extra steps it takes here makes it not happen.

Now who is going to Loonie Run?

Im leaving in the morning and hope it doesnt rain like they are calling for.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
You are all assholes and I blame myself. So I'm going to kick all your asses. Think I'm a puss them show up at the next event and get your asses handed to ya, even you old man whiner.

I miss this place but realize some people do get into other stuff and don't come here anymore. A lot of this sport is all over facebook.

Honestly if was an easy as facebook to post pics I think it would help. The extra steps it takes here makes it not happen.

Now who is going to Loonie Run?

Im leaving in the morning and hope it doesnt rain like they are calling for.

@firehawk. I've decided I'm no longer going to pick on you for your continued avoidance of me for a race. This will be my last post on this topic. You win. :d:

Unfortunately I won't make the Loonie run this year. :(. You will have a blast up there. Please say hi to Curly for me. :thumb:

·
KOH Jackhammer
3,061 Posts
Social media has definitely killed the forums, and it's a real shame. There has always been tons of excellent information on the forums, but now there is little new content added.

I believe part of this is because there is a definite "Upity" attitude that has invaded almost all the forums. If someone posts a build thread or help thread stating they are going to put together a yj, and they have a pair of wagoneer axles and a 318 out of a ramvan, they are usually shamed out of the forum "because LS", and "D60, just do it". God forbid someone builds a cage out of 1.25" SCH40 A 500 structural tubing. Ten or fifteen years ago, twenty other forum members would have dug out belhousings and made prints of them, wiring diagrams, fuel pump specs, shown pictures of how to change bolt patterns with other Jeep, Ford, or Dodge parts and all kinds of other forms of help and encouragement. Now? One word answers. "Redneck", "cheapass", "LS", "Poopipe", etc are common, most being entirely ignorant.

There might currently be a thread in the Jeep Tech section that has a Great Lakes favorite that has recently resurfaced from a hiatus.
2.5 to 4.0 conversion (no LS jokes...be nice) :teehee:

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
The main reasons I rarely post anymore, or even check the forums, are as follows.

1. Far too many people on here that just go to every thread and post useless or inflammatory bullshit. I would say that about 80% of them have no rig, don't wheel, and have zero intention of being involved with wheeling. Just here to state their opinion, which nobody cares about.

2. I still liked the build threads and tech/fab sections but for years now they aren't really build threads. They are somebody who makes a post about what they say they are going to or want to do, post a few pics of nothing really, then its 45 pages of talking shit and useless stuff. A build thread should be a fairly comprehensive list of info and pics about the hows and whys of a build with a few questions that relate to the actual topic thrown in. I'm not going to sift through dozens of pages of retarded comments from people who have no clue as to what they're talking about to find the one pic of something cool you may have fabbed up.

3. This ones mostly for me. I still liked posting stuff I made in the shop and answering questions about it, but the posting of pics is very cumbersome. With todays technology its ridiculous that it takes so long to post a pic, when on any of the social media sites its as easy as touching one tiny spot on your phone. I rarely show stuff I build on facebook because a lot of my "friends" don't give a shit about jeep stuff. I used to post that stuff here.

·
Old School
33,015 Posts
I fall into category one.

This is why I post in the pub. This is one of the few places where I can be an idiot without a mod up my ass.

This site is mainly a tension reliever for me.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I fall into category one.

This is why I post in the pub. This is one of the few places where I can be an idiot without a mod up my ass.

This site is mainly a tension reliever for me.
And I can appreciate that. Some don't wheel but know some stuff. Others know very little but like to post (everywhere, not just the pub) on every single thread as if they are an expert or think they are funny. All it does is clutter up threads that could have been useful to someone in the future.

41 - 60 of 158 Posts