Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a welder and have the chance to pick up a used snapon fm140 mig welder. anybody have one or used one. they are $2600 new. seems wayyy expensive for a 110 welder.

·
Yankabilly
7,944 Posts
I had one many years ago before I stepped up to the 250 amp machine. Honestly save your $$ just keep searching craigslist

·
Live Action!
15,748 Posts
looking for a welder and have the chance to pick up a used snapon fm140 mig welder. anybody have one or used one. they are $2600 new. seems wayyy expensive for a 110 welder.
IF you can get it for $200-300 go for it, otherwise pass it up.

·
Live Action!
15,748 Posts
Snap On = Crap On when it comes to welders.

You can get alot better for your money by going with a Miller, Lincoln or even a Hobart.

There are a few others out there that are fine but nothing that I would buy if I wanted a good machine that will last. They are for the guy that is on a serious budget and doesnt mind if his welds fail.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Miller makes a super nice 110v welder thats about 800 bucks. I have an older version that is 110 amps and it welds very smooth on exhaust systems and smaller stock. I've done some heavier stuff with it but you have to bevel and muli-pass. If you are wanting to weld anything heavier that about 3/16" I would suggest stepping up to a 220v unit.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 220 160 century right now. but was going to upgrade to the miller 210. or lincoln. I put a want add on craigslist and a guy offered up that snapon one for $600. so i looked it up and snapon website wanted $2900. LOLOL So i was just looking for some info to support my reason for not wanting it. thanks guys

·
Yankabilly
7,944 Posts
Snap On = Crap On when it comes to welders.

You can get alot better for your money by going with a Miller, Lincoln or even a Hobart.

There are a few others out there that are fine but nothing that I would buy if I wanted a good machine that will last. They are for the guy that is on a serious budget and doesnt mind if his welds fail.

I disagree on the crap on part... for the same price as a miller lincoln I agree in todays prices. I have an old 250 amp snap on that I paid $1,600 for way back in 1991. It has been a great welder and has never given me any trouble.

Yes today that same welder would be around $2,500 on the snap on truck so therefore Yes I would buy a miller or lincoln.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts