Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So It looks like i'm going to Italy tomorrow for 12 days.

So uh, I speak 0 Italian (well maybe spaghetti, linguini, ravioli, and I guess i just ask for bread there instead of Italian bread?).
Anyone ever been there and have some pointers?

·
UPPER('4x4') = '$X$'
264 Posts
I've been and loved it. Would go back in a Heartbeat!

Don't worry about the language too much, but pick up a simple Italian primer and read it on the plane. If you try to speak Italian, they will try to speak English. Most people under 35 can speak English pretty fluently.

In restaurants, you have to ask for your check or they will never bring it. "Il conto porfavore" or something like that.

Most EVERYTHING closes between 11am and 4pm or something like that. Like siesta.

What city are you going to? If you can get out to the hill towns of Tuscany, DO IT. Cortona, Arezzo, Montipulciano, Montepulcino, etc. Absolutely fantastic food and wine... oh the wine... so good.

Have fun!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've been and it was pretty cool. Everyone pretty much speaks English (some better than others). Don't be in a hurry to do anything or go anywhere.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Who do you work for? Assume your going for work. I'm gunna give it a 40% chance I went to the same place for the same company.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
WHERE are you going in italy?

bigger cities, languague no problem. the farther afield you go, the less english spoken. however, if you know any spanish, french, other romance languague you'll be able to fake it.

check internet access. maybe get special overseas package for your cell/smart phone (very cheap). get some euros to get from the airport to lodging, etc. check location of ATM's relative to your hotel. exchange rates for atm & credit carts generally much better than bank/hotel exchange rates. also check whether your electric appliances will work, require a special converter plug to match their wall sockets and how your hair dryer, laptop, cell charger, camera battery charger work on their grid. (call a luggage shop or your travel agent). carry your wallet in your front pocket as pickpockets are big in europe especially at bus stops, subway, train stations and on board same where bodies are smashed together. (once a co worker's wallet/passport were stolen from her purse by guys pushing through the aisles while the train was boarding. they got off before we even left the station.) also, big ploy right now is to rig the atm so it records your card # but refuses you passcode. the local guy behind you offers help to enter your passcode, remembers it, blasts your account before you know what hits you. therefore does not hurt to check you balance, on-line, via the hardwired computer in the lobby of the hotel daily. do not be afraid, in any city, to go "off the beaten path for a meal". europe is really tourist friendly. enjoy your self. check out rick steves travelouges on the web.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who do you work for? Assume your going for work. I'm gunna give it a 40% chance I went to the same place for the same company.

I work for mostly myself LOL

I'm going to a theatre in Milan.

Have already refilled my Skype account balance and need to call AT&T to turn on some international features so i'm not stranded.

Have a power converter set already to throw in so I should be good on that front.

I know the hotel and the theatre both have wireless access to use.
It's only 11-12 days so i'm not there for eternity so it shouldn't be horrid.
Luckily some of my constituents have already been there for a month and are both from the UK so I should be in decent hands.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Have a power converter set already to throw in so I should be good on that front.

Being the tech geek you are, what do you own that isn't dual voltage?

Nevermind. I forgot about the hair dryer.

:teehee:

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being the tech geek you are, what do you own that isn't dual voltage?

Nevermind. I forgot about the hair dryer.

:teehee:

lol ok true, It's not a power converter, just plug adapters lol
as yes I think any and all electronics I own are auto switching per voltage. Shoot half the time in the states I'm running my stuff off of 208v anyway.

and I dont even own a hair dryer :finger:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Italy is great. I've only been there once, half a week in Rome, half a week driving around Tuscany. Both were great.
I've heard northern Italy (where you are going) is more industrial and urban. If you get a chance head south (or north into the mountains if you are into skiing).
Rome has so much history. Every corner you turn it seems like your seeing a building hundreds of years older than anything we have here.
Driving around Tuscany is beautiful and relaxing. Great food and wine. Great with a significant other.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Milano is a great city - you'll have no trouble getting around. :thumb:

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
:sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

Yes I'll be so deeply in a bad place :sonicjay:

I did have bad thoughts as the "Over 15" authorization came up today buying super glue.
you should try and buy a can of the electronic duster shit...holy cow its like you have to go through a background check for that shit

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Northern Italy is much nicer and cleaner than southern Italy. Milan is relatively clean as far as the big industrial cities go over there (Naples is a real shit hole) though you have to keep an eye on the dirty Roma woman and children wherever you go. I spent about a combined 8 weeks in La Spezia and Trieste with side trips all over the place. You can get all over relatively simply and cheaply by taking the trains and Milan is a short trip to Como and Verona which are very picturesque and not as overrun with tourists as Florence or Venice, though this time of the year it might not be as bad (and Florence is infinitely nicer than Vence IMO). You could also take a slightly longer, but still relatively simple trip to Monaco (which is just a few miles past the French border), San Marino or up to the very northern part of Italy and Lake Geneva and the border with Switzerland.

We used to take the train from Trieste to Turin and would stop off in random little towns in the north of Italy for lunch or dinner or sightseeing and were rarely disappointed.

·
offensive 2 the sensitive
2,853 Posts
well I know you watch Jersey Shore. So just compare it to the latest season.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
well I know you watch Jersey Shore. So just compare it to the latest season.
So you don't have what it takes to be a Marine huh? Nice to see you still in the boards here acting like a douchebag. Way to live your life, AJ.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts