Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I killed my cell phone with water. Again. AT&T is my provider, I don't want to lenghten my contract buying/getting a new phone.
What do I need to know/be aware of when buying a phone from say ebay, or Craigslist?
Does anybody have an AT&T phone they want to part with?

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
Just go in and buy the phone, and tell them you don't want to sign the contract. It's just ~$100 more. I've done it plenty of times. I would (love to) be out of my contract right now, except I had to sign a fucking contract to get my iPhone. As far as I know, iPhone is the ONLY phone that strictly requires you to sign a contract (which is really a crock of shit).

Getting something off craigslist, ebay, etc... is okay, since all you need to do is throw your SIM in the phone. However, you have to be sure to get it off of a reputable seller, so as to not get a piece of shit.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
Just go in and buy the phone, and tell them you don't want to sign the contract. It's just ~$100 more. I've done it plenty of times. I would (love to) be out of my contract right now, except I had to sign a fucking contract to get my iPhone.

Getting something off craigslist, ebay, etc... is okay, since all you need to do is throw your SIM in the phone. However, you have to be sure to get it off of a reputable seller, so as to not get a piece of shit.
I think hes trying to save some cash:poke:

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
i see what your saying but if he is that dumb to not know you can just go buy a new phone without signing a new contract, then i think he has more problems than just this.

:poke:

*sigh*
Well, the cell phone providers don't exactly make it clear that you can get one without a contract. It's in their best interest not to. Plenty of people don't know you can get new phone w/o one.

Nor do they realize that their contract can be overridden and resigned and they can usually get a new phone after like a year.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
Well, the cell phone providers don't exactly make it clear that you can get one without a contract. It's in their best interest not to. Plenty of people don't know you can get new phone w/o one.

Nor do they realize that their contract can be overridden and resigned and they can usually get a new phone after like a year.
Cant Understand Normal Thinking

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I know I can buy a just a phone from AT&T, it's been a while since I looked into it, but when I did (been a couple of years) they wanted full price for the phone as in $400. If it's not that way any longer than great, I just don't care enough about phones to have the latest and greatest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.