Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK I just had my roof done.Complete tearoff (Cedar shake and 2 layers) resheeted and shingled........Is it wrong for me to think that its their responsibility to make this look Right? Granted the roof was quite a bit thicker before they started.but look at that gap under my window..and the exposed wood..

It also looks like they used a beaver to cut the line on the east side ..... also mucked with fingerprints and dents...

What do you think?

They said they were done.............I only hope that they are NOT.My lawn is a mess and I have picked up several handfull of nails and there are a Butt load of cig butts laying around along with pieces of shingles...tar marks on the siding . I have not yet and will not pay for this until its correct......What do you think ...is it my responsibility for the exposed wood and the gaps?

This is only a few of the pictures of what i think is wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
id tell them to get screwed. there is no professional roofer that would be proud of that work. hell a simple chalk line in the valley would have worked wonders. if they dont fix the mistakes i wouldnt pay a dime more than you have. time to start a detailed record of the events that take place from here on out.

·
Grumpy Grampa
2,435 Posts
Wow was it a reputable contractor? I wouldn't pay for that.

·
Livin in the city
258 Posts
id tell them to get screwed. there is no professional roofer that would be proud of that work. hell a simple chalk line in the valley would have worked wonders. if they dont fix the mistakes i wouldnt pay a dime more than you have. time to start a detailed record of the events that take place from here on out.

x2

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
the exposed wood is kinda on you but they should have at least used step flashing under it for the roof sake, and agreed on the valley chalk lines are made for a reason. They sure didn't make your stuff look pretty, only question now is..., so will your roof leak?

Could always put out for an inspector and have him write it up and put the "company'' on record. But I would not settle for that job. You, I hope, didn't pay for the whole job quite yet, if so then your screwed but if not then you can bargain for a damn discount or atleast have the upper hand to have them fix it.

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
WTF?!?!?!:whiz:

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:eek:Only paid the down payment........... Well........ as for the Lowest Bidder.It was the Highest.........but we wanted a bigger company incase there we any issues.Its a steep bitch of a house......

I will not mention any names..But salesman told us that the roofers worked Exclusively for them. But the roofer told us another story...... All we wanted was a good job and to Get- it- Done !

·
Registered
236 Posts
WOW. i agree the flashing should have been used for the windows, the fascia is kinda also on you unless it was noted in the initial contract. it doesn't matter how steep the roof is, there is no reason for work like that other then him being lazy and not finishing the job. Ive seen a crew come do a 12/12 pitch roof and it was perfect. i would not budge an inch. they should either send another roofer out to fix the roof or AT LEAST cut the price in half if they are unwilling to fix. in that case i would contact your local BBB. how things work out for ya.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Roofed all my life and that is a horrid job!

Should have used a piece of alunimun and break to cover the gap and I bet a trained momkey and a chalk line could have made a better cut then what those guys did.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
that looks like ass they should have flashed the window and the valley is just wtf? combined with the trim on the facia that looks like ass i would tell them to get bent

·
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
1,908 Posts
Looks like hel7, if they pulled a permit, doubt it would pass inspection. Which there's where they'd be responsible for getting it to pass?

·
r00t4r3d
1,914 Posts
my high school construction class did better work than that while hungover at 7am. imo that is the worst roof job i have EVER seen, even for a drunk monkey

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I've been in the building industry for a long time. I don't think I've seen a roof that bad in long time, especially by an actual roofing company. Is there some kind of fit and finish in that contract? Also, are there exposed nails in that valley? I can't tell very well but it looks like there is. I wouldn't send them a check until they repair there mistakes. The window sills, they should've told you about them and at least asked you what you would like them to do. Most companies are capable of fixing those issues given they are generally licensed builders. After seeing the finished product, I wouldn't even trust the simple things like Ice & water in the valleys, tar where needed, proper overlaps, etc. Report them if they don't fix their mistakes.

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
That is terrible. I do a couple roofs a year to make some extra money and with friends or family and we do a hell of a lot nice job then that.

·
A-1 Dave Costa
1,106 Posts
that is pure SHIT work...

Was the contractor licensed for home improvement... if not, tell him to pound sand... you do not need to pay unlicensed contractors... court precedence for it also.

·
I got a gold chain
16,447 Posts
That really looks like hell. I wouldn't pay them a dime.
I would also get another company to rip all of that back off and re-do it the right way.

As mentioned, call the city inspector to see if a permit was pulled, and have the inspector check the job, just to get some paper work for court. Because I'm sure thats where you'll end up with them.

I would not let them back to "fix" anything. Get it done right.

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
I would also get another company to rip all of that back off and re-do it the right way.

As mentioned, call the city inspector to see if a permit was pulled, and have the inspector check the job, just to get some paper work for court. Because I'm sure thats where you'll end up with them.

If you can't get it fixed right, let Stan know right away. He'll buy the place for .20 cents on the dollar and rent it out to ghetto rats (and still not fix the roof).:teehee:

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,797 Posts

x2

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,129 Posts
WOW, just WOW.

i'm not a roofer, but damn that's not right.

even if the cut the shingles straight on that valley it's going to leak like hell

1 - 20 of 61 Posts