Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pulled many engine and trannys from both jeeps trucks and cars but on the front wheel drive cars I have always pulled the engine and tranny at the same time to work on or replace usualy becasue both needed attention. In my 99 malibu I changed the engine a few summers ago so I is in good shape but the tranny is going and I was wondering if any of you could explain how easy it might be to pull the tranny out the bottom with the engine left in the car. I know that the tranny shops have to do it that way at least from what I have saw. Can anyone point me to a web site or explain how bad it will be to pull it that way over pulling the engine and tranny at the same time.
Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well if you dont have a hoist you wont be able to pull the trans by itself. If you do have a hoist, Used a engine support to hold the motor, Remove CV axles, starter, torque convertor bolts, Trans cooler line, shift linkage, any electrical connectors, Then on most front wheel drives you have to remove the sub frame and then the trans should come right out. On most you have to take off the P/S lines and disconect the steering shaft and drop the rack with the subframe.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have a hoist but I have a air jack that will pick up the front of the car and I can use (2) 3 ton jacks to lift the back all supported with jack stands. How high do I need to be to get this out? I can make a engine support I have seen how they do it at the tranny shop.

·
Registered
335 Posts
with out proper tools you can get in trouble or hurt doing that job .labor would $300 to do it right at my shop plus fluid smiths auto service 989-892-2509 thanks phil

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I was at smiths once and he mis-diagnossed my engine saying it was bad becasue it had no vacuum do to internal problems. I ended up finding a sensor bad and it ran for 2 more years and I sold it.

do you work there?

·
Get Some
4,226 Posts
I have done a few, and personally I dont think I would do one on the ground. I get spoiled by using a hoist.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think I was at smiths once and he mis-diagnossed my engine saying it was bad becasue it had no vacuum do to internal problems. I ended up finding a sensor bad and it ran for 2 more years and I sold it.

do you work there?
well i bought smiths auto on midland st in bay city 2 yrs ago and I do real good work and stand behind what i do :poke: i have a hoist fs then you can do it your self easy cheesy

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I am sure at was around two years ago probably right before you bought the place.
I had it done it cost me $50 and then found out it was a sensor when I was reading the internet. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I am sorry for the bad report I was not trying to bash your buisness. I can get the tranny for $150 at the junk yard I always use and I trust them. I just don't have the $300.
$450 isn't that terrible I guess I will keep you in mind good luck at smiths.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
This is a very difficult job and should be left to experts such as myself. I can do it cheap if you want to pay cash and I'm not too far away from you. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I do FWD work like this without a hoist, at home...only when I cant avoid it...its a major PITA...for $300, you should let mudbrat71 do it...

I use a cherry picker, remove the subframe (complete) and set it on the picker's legs, then use the picker to raise the front of the vehicle high enough to slide out the engine/trans assembly, support it on big jackstands, and then slide the whole assembly out, and use the cherry picker to disassemble...

I'll be putting in a hoist and an overhead crane system when I get a floor poured in my polebarn...

·
The land of Boredom..
4,224 Posts
ive had my trans out twice, for * the torque converter* the shop said, pulled the trans, put a new convertor in, still the same, end up being a wire, took me about 5 hours, on the ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts