Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
CRRRAZZZYYYYY Cooter!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '77 FLH Shovel with issues... hoping for some wise words. Hoping for someone that knows point systems real well. I'm not well versed in them. By the time I started playing with cars, distributors were standard and well, it's just not the same as my crotch rocket :tonka:

Thanks
Steve

·
Custom User Title
8,287 Posts
Why would lowlock know about Harley's? Doesn't he own a Kia Dealership?

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Rumor has it I may know a few guys as well. :sonicjay: Plus the fact, I think my Flathead has points in it. (we do have a guy who is real good with the older bikes at the shop)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
what prob. are you having with the points, ive had my shovel for a long time
and had to deal with every prob that comes with owning one (to many to list)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
all new points and condenser is cheap and adjusting them is easy.

Getting your timing right is harder. Those old Knuckles and Shovels were a bit touchy.

·
CRRRAZZZYYYYY Cooter!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all new points and condenser is cheap and adjusting them is easy.

Getting your timing right is harder. Those old Knuckles and Shovels were a bit touchy.
Yeah... well, after an issue with a "shovel" expert and a hot cam, we've gone back to stock.

New cone, points, condenser. Stock cam, lifters, pushrods. Can't get the damn thing to find timing to save it's ass. Seems like the bike enjoys living on the lift and doesn't want off it.

Bio - Thanks.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
just pull the plug on the shift side of the block, role her over till the timing mark is in the center, then set your points but dont tighten the adjustment plate alot (you will be moving it).
fire it up (wont be easy) use a timing light with an oil guard, aim at hole in shift side of block, while some one adjusts the timing plate in the nose cone.
if the timing mark is jumpy you need new fly weight springs (real common to be bad even brand new)
its not hard, but having two people helps alot

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Hasn't anyone made an electronic conversion for those things yet?

Or would that be blasphemy? :sonicjay:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts