Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Sinister Minister
2,269 Posts
I work for Audi, looks like I might have to move just to keep a job! :(

They are making the official announcement today at 10:00 in Virginia and said that we will be having Juan on Juan meetings over the next 10 days to discuss every individuals future with the company.

·
My mom says Im special
250 Posts
Yeah I hear that, I am with the VW side and I am super excited to see where I stand.
I wish they would just tell me if I was staying, leaving, or not having a job.
The wait is the worst.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
there arnt young skilled workers here?

i think i know a few....

Michigan needs to grasp onto a new, booming industry...

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts

i think i know a few....
In the eyes of the rest of the country there aren't. Detroit is dead. Ask people who live on the west coast, south, or east coast. Anybody who's worth anything has left (in their opinions). I've had dozens of people (upon finding out where I live, in SE MI) as me "why"?

I give VW some credit for having the cajones to say why they're leaving - they don't feel they can attract the talent they want in/around Detroit. Moving to a much more congested and expensive cost of living area (Arlington VA) will allow them to attract the "right" people. I don't like it or agree, but at least they're being honest.

The FBI had to start buying foreign cars because in many big cities, the only 35 year-olds driving American cars work for the government - they stood out too much. A friend of mine in Sacramento was told that he couldn't park his company car (a Taurus) in his driveway because it looked "like a social agency was in the neighborhood". American products are seen as socially undesirable - a Kia is fine, but only a cop would drive a Taurus.

btw - as inept as Jenny is, there is no way she (or any other Governor) could've had any influence on this. Maybe Jenny will step up her inane "Cool Cities" boondoggle to attract/retain talent in MI...

·
web wheeling, hard.
6,774 Posts
I saw that on the news this morning and was like "well, I guess it was expected!" Nobody wants to be in a failing state.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts

i think i know a few....
In the eyes of the rest of the country there aren't. Detroit is dead. Ask people who live on the west coast, south, or east coast. Anybody who's worth anything has left (in their opinions). I've had dozens of people (upon finding out where I live, in SE MI) as me "why"?

I give VW some credit for having the cajones to say why they're leaving - they don't feel they can attract the talent they want in/around Detroit. Moving to a much more congested and expensive cost of living area (Arlington VA) will allow them to attract the "right" people.

The FBI had to start buying foreign cars because in many big cities, the only 35 year-olds driving American cars work for the government - they stood out too much. A friend of mine in Sacramento was told that he couldn't park his company car (a Taurus) in his driveway because it looked "like a social agency was in the neighborhood". American products are seen as socially undesirable - a Kia is fine, but only a cop would drive a Taurus.
That's dumb,
I'll always buy GM/Chevy &/or Jeep Vehicles...maybe Ford if it's my "only option" :poke:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
There are young skilled workers, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to attract new talent to Michigan. There is nothing attractive about the area. No major cities of note. The roads are horrible. The crime is high. The weather sucks (3rd cloudiest state in the union behind Alaska and Washington if I remember correctly.)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7681/940/1600/cloudy days graph.0.jpg

Compare Michigan to North Carolina, Tennessee, Massachusetts, California, hell, even Minnesota. All of these other states have FAR more to offer a well educated individual looking to forward their career.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
It is so sad that this wonderfull state is going to be know as the welfare state for many years to come.

We need a action Hero ASAP!!

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
A friend of mine in Sacramento was told that he couldn't park his company car (a Taurus) in his driveway because it looked "like a social agency was in the neighborhood". American products are seen as socially undesirable - a Kia is fine, but only a cop would drive a Taurus.
I'd tell them to F off I can drive what I want... I prefer to support this country when possible. (IE you don't have a lot of choices with electronics or clothing anymore)

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Yes but I only live in this state , that should be enough to draw folks in .

Id bet thats a right to work state !!

I know a few thousand UAW folks wont like this but you cant stop change . Michigan must become a right to work state to draw the auto ind back .

Michigan also needs to remember its roots , stop chasing away out door enthusiast . Draw sportsman back into the state as well .

·
397 Posts
I work for VW, and had a meeting this morning that started out "I will meet with you all over the next week individually and inform you of the status of your job".......

Awsome!!! *sarcasm*

As for this move, I think it's a horrible decision and gross waste of money. VWoA will continue to lose money because of the inabilities and egos of the Europeans involved. Once they take the approach of idea based design vs. ego based decision making, they may show a profit.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
DTE Energy Trading was located in Ann Arbor for the exact same reason VW is leaving Detroilet. If they located the trading floor in Detroit, they would never have attracted any top level traders to the organization. Lots of people in Detroit Edison were not happy with that decision. I would never have taken the job there if it was in Detroit. It is going to get a lot worse in this state. The wait 5 years and you'll be blown away was referring to the fact that there will be nothing left in this state, other than tumbleweeds like a ghost town.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Meh, not suprised. VWoA has been grasping at straws for years.

Ford tried this will Lincoln, that didn't work so well. Nissan, We'll see. VW, I don't think it'll solve their issues, the US market isn't high on VW. High price, marginal quality. This is very typical german design issues, I don't see them being successful here in growing, based on the US consumer base.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
The Problum is that it cost less for these Businesses to build new buliding then it is to tear down ones and rebuild. Look at all the large Cities across the country, In the middle of the cities there are waist building that no one takes care of anylonger and Cost to much to rebuild in that same spot so they move on. These Cities need to go after these businesses and not let them just walk away and leave property in such bad shape.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts