Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have killed my second optima yellow top battery. It gets a full charge but under load drops under 5. I read all the threads I could find and tried different charging techniques to no avail.
I am not sure if I want to get another optima or not. Something that is not used all the time. And I use a trickle charger.
Courious what kind of battery you use.....

·
Better than Newbie
2,829 Posts
got a yellow top here... on my second one. my original died after 5 months, just out of nowhere... would show good voltage, so I think i took it in for a quick test, and showed up fine, but then swapped with a different battery and it worked fine, so I took it back and they did a long test and then replaced it for me for free

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
I have a red top in my WJ, going on 4 years now without issue.

Yellow top in my YJ I am on warrantied #3

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to know what kind of battery everyone is using know. Not yeah they suck, I wouldnt buy one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Theyre terrible. My 4cyl s10 killed a yellowtop! I traded mine in a sears and got theyre second cheapest one and $70 back and didnt have any problems afterwards.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
wow really ?

I bought a yellowtop for my xj in 2003 and I beat the piss out of that thing it works as good as the day I bought it.

Leave the dome light and cb on overnight, no problem, headlights and stereo on for hours, no problem, alternator dies everytime you wheel, I can run for about 6 or 7 hours before it finally dies. and each time charges up no problem.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I've drained the Red Top in my tow rig maybe a half dozen times and it always comes back with the trickle charger. I don't think it has the life it used to though.

The Yellow Top in the YJ is going strong. Both of them are 2004 + batteries.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just swapped out my red top last week. The battery would always read 10 volts and evenn after running for 4 hours, after 3 minutes would drop.

I took to murrays and they swapped it out for an exide that was worth 25 more than my redtop

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i am in the same boat i want to buy a "offroad"batery and want to know what people use i know there are alot out there and dont want a optima

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My 87 yj has a "Sams Club" marine deep cycle battery. Total cost $56.00. I usd it in my motorhome as a "house battery" for 2 years. Then transfered it to the YJ when I need one in there. Been running strong. Jeep sits in the wintertime in an unheated garage and only starts up every month or so.

42,948 Posts
I went through three yellow tops, all covered under warranty. I went to warranty my fourth, and murrays no longer carrys optima's. They gave me some other battery thats supposed to be the same, it looks like an optima. I don't remember the name.

Its worked fine since the builds been done

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i have looked at the odyssedy and procomp and seam to be avout the same price as optima im thinking i will prolly go with onw of those...anyone have any luck or use one??
sorry for the thread jack but at least we staying on the same topic

·
660 Posts
I've always ran the Autozone Duralast (3 year free replacement) and had good luck. I switched to a Blue Top Two Summers ago and have had no issues, even after a complete drain. I only jump started it. Still working fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts