Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife keeps nagging me that I should get an iPhone. My current phone is just about paid off and Verizon is offering more for trade in on it than I paid for it originally. Which means, the switch would cost me nothing, or next to nothing..... I guess I am not opposed to the idea, but I have never had one. I have been an Android guy (and Blackberry before that) forever.

The one reason I was dead set against an iPhone was the inability to expand the memory. Just like my white letter tires, my old man mind likes my microSD card instead of my shit in the cloud somewhere..... Well, all Androids have just about phased this out, so no matter what phone I go with, I'm going to lose this function.

So what say you? Have any of you switched? Did you love it? Did you hate it?

Thoughts appreciated.

'Goose

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
Iphone sucks. I had an iphone for a work phone at two jobs and it sucked both times. It really wasn't anything specific, I don't don't like the user interface on it. Much prefer the android phones.

Like you said, there is't shit you can do to expand anything on the iphone other than use icloud, which sucks as personally i'd rather have my stuff where only I can get it; I have an S10e for personal phone and s20fe for work phone, both have expandable memory.

I went from my S5 (old I know) which I loved, but it died and wasn't worth fixing; then went to an S7, which I really hated. Again, not really sure why, just did not like it at all. Now that I have an s10e, I like it nearly as much as I loved the s5. The s20fe I like as well,. Either way, the s7 that I disliked I still like more than the iphone x and iphone 7? 8? Not sure which one it was back in 2017/2018. For one, nothing changes on iphone. They're the same damn phone.

personally, it's like the argument about charcoal vs gas grill. The hardcore charcoal people are absolutly crazy over it, and don't know why, it's just more betterer. Whereas the gas guys knows, gas is easier and charcoal is good too and probably use both. Apple people are zealot apple and they have no idea why, it's just better.

·
Red Dragons!
2,034 Posts
I switched after getting the s7. I had an s3,s5 then the 7. I hated it too. So much that I got rid of it only after a few months. Went to an iPhone and haven’t looked back. It took a little while to get used to it. I am not concerned with memory so that doesn’t concern me.

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I just need to go to the store and play with one and see what I think.... My wife has an iPhone 11, I can grab hers too and see what I think.... It would be nice to upgrade to the latest and greatest for FREE, but if I don't like it, I'll just keep what I have until it's dead...

Thank you for your opinions!

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iphone sucks. I had an iphone for a work phone at two jobs and it sucked both times. It really wasn't anything specific, I don't don't like the user interface on it. Much prefer the android phones.

Like you said, there is't shit you can do to expand anything on the iphone other than use icloud, which sucks as personally i'd rather have my stuff where only I can get it; I have an S10e for personal phone and s20fe for work phone, both have expandable memory.

I went from my S5 (old I know) which I loved, but it died and wasn't worth fixing; then went to an S7, which I really hated. Again, not really sure why, just did not like it at all. Now that I have an s10e, I like it nearly as much as I loved the s5. The s20fe I like as well,. Either way, the s7 that I disliked I still like more than the iphone x and iphone 7? 8? Not sure which one it was back in 2017/2018. For one, nothing changes on iphone. They're the same damn phone.

personally, it's like the argument about charcoal vs gas grill. The hardcore charcoal people are absolutly crazy over it, and don't know why, it's just more betterer. Whereas the gas guys knows, gas is easier and charcoal is good too and probably use both. Apple people are zealot apple and they have no idea why, it's just better.
My current phone is a s20fe and it has been giving me problems, that's the reason I am contemplating making the switch. The best (meaning most problem free) phones I have ever owned have been Motorola, but the last few generations have been cheap as fawk, and I don't want another cheap phone. back in the Droid days, they made some really high quality stuff, not anymore...

·
Low Range Drifter
8,652 Posts
My wife and kids just moved to the iphone 12 last fall. It was just as 13 was coming out, so we got a "deal". They seem happy with them. I'm on a work iphone X or something or other. It's a few years old, but seems to be holding up fine. I haven't noticed it slowing down or battery life getting super short yet.

·
American
1,678 Posts
I used to go back and forth, iphone droid iphone droid every other phone. I've now had a few iphones in a row. Not that I think it's wildly better, but everyone else in my family has an iphone and it's easier in group chats, etc due to the extra features that "imessage" brings as well as being able to sync my watch and ipad to it. I think the iphone ipad watch sync is my favorite part.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Mis and I both have one of each work and personal it is a bit of a hassle to bounce back and forth but it is no big deal, I do love the "shake light " function on the android that I can't get on an IPhone but I do love the "strobe ring" function on the I phones, when you can't here shit it makes it easier to catch a incoming call. The biggest + I see to upgrading is newer battery technology my old Iphone can't hold a charge for shit I need to upgrade but have been procrastinating until I smush this one or send it swimming.

RBB

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Same as others, work provides Iphones, so I gave it a whirl, didn't like it... Didn't like it enough that I take a 60 dollar reimbursement and give out my personal cell.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
I guess I just need to go to the store and play with one and see what I think.... My wife has an iPhone 11, I can grab hers too and see what I think.... It would be nice to upgrade to the latest and greatest for FREE, but if I don't like it, I'll just keep what I have until it's dead...

Thank you for your opinions!
Latest and greatest for 1.5 months you mean lol

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have iPhone for work and Android for my personal phone. I'll take Android any day, even Samsung's shitty version. My Pixel directly from Google was the best though. It takes so many more steps to do things on iPhone that I can do in one or two on Android.
Any examples of what you mean?

·
Project Antitube
1,212 Posts
An iPhone is like leasing a car. You can do a few things with it, but not much. It's like an appliance. You may be pissed that the light turns off on your microwave if you leave the door open but eventually you will conform to its oddities.. Apple is just as bad as anyone else as far as personal data.

I use Google Pixel series, and before that the Nexus series. I don't trust Google either, or my carrier, but my tinfoil hat is thick. So I hedge against most everything.

I used to be able to say that Google phones were a bargain as compared to grotesquely overpriced Apple products but not so much anymore. I think the Pixel3 was the last bargain.

·
Skymaster
2,541 Posts
My biggest complaint about Apple is the lack of a number row. I much prefer that to the drag down that apple has. I have an s22 ultra that's only a couple months old. I love it. Haven't used the pen too much but it's nice for getting precise drawing on screen shots or pics. It is a little bigger than I'd like though but I'm getting used to it. Came from an s10+

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My biggest complaint about Apple is the lack of a number row. I much prefer that to the drag down that apple has. I have an s22 ultra that's only a couple months old. I love it. Haven't used the pen too much but it's nice for getting precise drawing on screen shots or pics. It is a little bigger than I'd like though but I'm getting used to it. Came from an s10+
Size of my phone = perfect
expandable memory = perfect
user interface = perfect
operation = the suck

it's so glitchy. Sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it is to the point where I want to throw it against the wall. It's only a year old and this is happening. I'm just getting tired of it. My wife said she never has these issues with her phone.... That's another reason I was considering the switch.

I am heading to Verizon tonight, I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Size of my phone = perfect
expandable memory = perfect
user interface = perfect
operation = the suck

it's so glitchy. Sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it is to the point where I want to throw it against the wall. It's only a year old and this is happening. I'm just getting tired of it. My wife said she never has these issues with her phone.... That's another reason I was considering the switch.

I am heading to Verizon tonight, I'll see what they say.
Who is your carrier? We have AT&T. For the most part over the last 15 years we have been happy with their service. maybe the last few years it has been getting worse. Dropped calls and dead zones seem to be getting more frequent. I have always had apple and am happy with it. I do like the pics from the droid. My bro in law has one and it takes great pics.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was a die hard Android user, but had scary people at the top of the company that all used iPhones, and nobody in the IT department had an iPhone. My girlfriend has an iPhone, but switching had the added benefit of all emojis and etc working. There are some annoyances. I hate that ALL apps are on home screens. I don't use all those apps, so that was annoyance #1, but I threw everything into folders, and that works quite well. I've actually learned to like that; I have all games in one folder, shopping apps in another, work and medical related in another. I've had this nearly 2.5 years, and it has bugs that show up with updates (often they're annoying feature updates or changes that they think are improvements), but my phone is running great.

If you do switch, I recommend doing what I did, and sync with Google. Whatsapp syncs with iCloud, because you don't get a choice, but I have access to all the photos I ever had on my Android phones. I also use Chrome, so all my saved password and bookmarks are there. That does break some things.... if you receive a meeting request via text message, it will either open in the iPhone calendar, or won't work at all.

The only other annoyances.... my Scantool LX doesn't work with iPhones, and if you let Google removed photos (which it offers when files have been backed up), they get removed from the phone and from iCloud. Why it removes them from iCloud, I don't understand. Isn't the point of cloud storage to get stuff off your phone?

·
Yooper In Training
7,557 Posts
I've been an Android guy forever, not dead set against iPhone but never had the desire to switch. I've used almost exclusively Motorola for at least 10 years. Originally it was because I live in the sticks and they tend to get the best reception, now I love their long battery life models. They tend to be bulkier and heavier with slightly less features than some of the premium models, but I loooooove the longer battery life and last I checked they still offer additional storage. If you're worried about the most features and widgets you'll probably never use then it ain't the phone for you, but if you don't want to always be looking for your charger they're great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts