Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,755 Posts
Some great discussion here. I am absorbing what I can of it since I plan on buying a couple camp spots in the next few years.

·
Project Antitube
1,079 Posts
I'm sure it's some old fscker that is a member of the Butthurt Brigade that thinks you stepped on his feeling. Whenever someone says "I know a buddy who can do it cheaper" but didn't and also takes months to show any initiative, they're usually full of shit. I don't know how many yards you got for his $180, but I doubt unless his "buddy who can do it cheaper" owns a gravel pit it is unlikely he can get a better return on his $180 investment he probably won't ever make.

The kind of person that agreed to the initial money and doesn't pay voluntarily or say anything for two months... is likely hoping you forget about it. Probably still irritated that he wasn't "consulted" with moving forward and didn't want to deal with the perceived "conflict" let alone pay for it.

It's probably going to be a problem going forward. It doesn't really matter what you say or do, but it makes it easier for you to feel better about taking the high road.

What would I do? I'd just eat the $180. Next time it needs maintenance badger him in a group MMS to find the buddy he knows that can do it for cheaper so it can save you money because you know how much of a hardship the $180 extra was last time and you know money isn't free. It will probably be years before you need to do that, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of other things to gripe about in the meantime.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Agree with the “your turn” type text for next time
Letting idiots handle the job is just asking for more drama. (see below)
I'm sure it's some old fscker that is a member of the Butthurt Brigade that thinks you stepped on his feeling. Whenever someone says "I know a buddy who can do it cheaper" but didn't and also takes months to show any initiative, they're usually full of shit. I don't know how many yards you got for his $180, but I doubt unless his "buddy who can do it cheaper" owns a gravel pit it is unlikely he can get a better return on his $180 investment he probably won't ever make.
How do you know my old neighbor?? The house where we used to live had a steep, curvy gravel driveway shared by 3 houses that used to wash out a lot. Every few years we'd get 100 tons of stone. Neighbor 1 knew a guy who did a good job of tailgating the stone, so he'd normally arrange the delivery.

One spring we decided we needed more stone and typically neighbor 1 would get it done in a week or two. Neighbor 2 is going to handle it this time 'cause he knows a guy who can do it cheaper. Months go by and no stone. Finally on a Friday in June he calls me to ask if I'll be around the next day (Saturday) to deal with the stone delivery. We had plans to go away so I told him no. He's in a panic now since he works Saturdays and neighbor 1 isn't going to be around Saturday either. Turned out that Sunday was his annual client party at his house, which is why he finally got the stone.

Anyhow, I got back home Sunday night to find out his guy didn't know how to tailgate and left piles down the entire driveway. I can only imagine how bad it must have been since neighbor 2 had his buddy come over and they took my snowplow to try to level the stone. Neighbor 1 threw out his back on Sunday trying to hand rake out some of the stone by his house. And, of course, I had to fix the driveway. I can't remember if it cost any less, but it certainly wasn't worth the trouble.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I ended up calling the guy last night. Was quite a short conversation; just told him that was my fault for not making sure I had a specific "ok" for the extra gravel and next time we'll all agree on a plan; since i'm sure he knows a lot more people than I do and could probably find something cheaper (not at all mockingly).

Mum was the word on the "friends" he knows, and the "cheaper" he could have done it from him though (go figure). He agreed to send a check out for what he saw he "owed". Whatever, as said, i'll eat the $180, and at some point in the future karma will catch up.

Luckily, the long game has already started, and I spoke to the property owner 1, whose property the gate is actually on. I've known them for the couple years they've lived on the property and are pretty good friends with. Told them about the gate situation, since they would have to get a key too, and then did a quick explanation of the road issue for how the gate issue came about. Turns out they had already had a bit of an issue with camp #2, as #2 decided to put up spray painted Keep Out signs 50ft onto their property, couple that with my issue and they don't have a good view of camp #2. I also know that, due to previous conversation with camp #2, they are going to be looking to have power ran to their camp at some point in the future, and the closest pole is property owner 1, only about 300 yards from camp #2s camp. So, they are going to have to get property 1 permission to cut 15ft trails for power lines...or spend extra thousands and thousands to have it ran down the camp road.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
22 days later, still not a peep from the guy. Suppose mum was also the word on 'when' he'll pay his share? Check is probably in the mail

Suppose i'll give it another couple weeks, just a good enough amount of time; then continue forward with other options.

·
Project Antitube
1,079 Posts
You're not going to hear anything because it's "not worth his time to solve a problem that isn't his".

When he asks for anything in the future, just make sure everyone agrees to say to "I know a guy and I'm kinda busy can we look at it later" a brush him off like the flake he is.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You're not going to hear anything because it's "not worth his time to solve a problem that isn't his".

When he asks for anything in the future, just make sure everyone agrees to say to "I know a guy and I'm kinda busy can we look at it later" a brush him off like the flake he is.
made me lol

It will be his problem to solve when he gets a notice of hearing in the mail

·
Project Antitube
1,079 Posts
People like that don't do anything. He might get mad, I don't know his temperament, but they literally do nothing. They might say they're going to do something, but they're not going to until they have to. And even then, they still might not if the repercussions of not doing something aren't too bad or preferably have delayed pain.

The best thing about people like that is you can usually give them a taste of their own medicine and they're oblivious to it. If they have a poor temperament and they have a moment of enlightenment that's when you have to worry about them showing up with their nephew's stolen Heritage Rough Rider and telling you how it is.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I have a friend that bought a piece of property with a cabin on it up north and he passes through an easement to get to his place. The guy who has the first piece of property comes out and tries to prevent him from driving to his cabin and threatens him and his family. He called the cops and the cops didn't do anything but talked to the crazy guy. The next time my buddy went up to his cabin there was a chain link fence up across the easement. Last I heard he was getting a lawyer involved and is selling the property.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have a friend that bought a piece of property with a cabin on it up north and he passes through an easement to get to his place. The guy who has the first piece of property comes out and tries to prevent him from driving to his cabin and threatens him and his family. He called the cops and the cops didn't do anything but talked to the crazy guy. The next time my buddy went up to his cabin there was a chain link fence up across the easement. Last I heard he was getting a lawyer involved and is selling the property.
Sucks to deal with. Myself, wouldn't let that shit fly. Hook a chain to tbe fence and drag it TF out. An easement is usualy property you own, and as I said before, ill be damned if some MF is gonna tell me what I can and can't do with my property.

Then again. That's also easy to say and different to actually deal with.

Reactions: aber61

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
People like that don't do anything. He might get mad, I don't know his temperament, but they literally do nothing. They might say they're going to do something, but they're not going to until they have to. And even then, they still might not if the repercussions of not doing something aren't too bad or preferably have delayed pain.

The best thing about people like that is you can usually give them a taste of their own medicine and they're oblivious to it. If they have a poor temperament and they have a moment of enlightenment that's when you have to worry about them showing up with their nephew's stolen Heritage Rough Rider and telling you how it is.

So, you telling me....you can't fix stupid? 😆

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
These days with everyone so afraid of getting sued have a buddy give him a call from your "attorney's office" Ask him who is going to be representing him in court because "said buddy" needs to send some paperwork over to his attorney. That might just get things moving I have made that call a few times for a friend and about 75 % of the time shit gets resolved soon after.

RBB

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
These days with everyone so afraid of getting sued have a buddy give him a call from your "attorney's office" Ask him who is going to be representing him in court because "said buddy" needs to send some paperwork over to his attorney. That might just get things moving I have made that call a few times for a friend and about 75 % of the time shit gets resolved soon after.

RBB
now that's a good idea

·
Project Antitube
1,079 Posts
As long as it's a deeded easement they can't prevent access.

I'd go back again with cameras rolling and when the guy threatens call the cops and get a police report. Now one can get a restraining order.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
As long as it's a deeded easement they can't prevent access.

I'd go back again with cameras rolling and when the guy threatens call the cops and get a police report. Now one can get a restraining order.
He said it was a deeded access when he bought the property. He was able to pull paperwork on the guys property and also sees that there is deeded access but the guy is crazy. I guess the cops won't do much either. So my friend is getting a lawyer to handle the matter. He has obtained a police report for the three times he has had encounters with him so we will see which direction this will go.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
He said it was a deeded access when he bought the property. He was able to pull paperwork on the guys property and also sees that there is deeded access but the guy is crazy. I guess the cops won't do much either. So my friend is getting a lawyer to handle the matter. He has obtained a police report for the three times he has had encounters with him so we will see which direction this will go.
There isn't anything (so far at least) that the cops can do. That kind of stuff is a civil matter, not criminal.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts