Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a usde amc 360. Pulled vavle cover off and looked like small block chevy rockers. Screw in studs,very nice setup never saw anything like it. Also under intake there is a copper tube that goes from th front to rear Looks very nice. Any info on this would be great

·
Terminator 2
1,158 Posts
Earlier AMC V8's had individual screw-in studs for individual rocker arms. Look at the holes in the heads, where are the push rods go through ... are the about a 1/2" diameter round hole, are a 3/8" wide x 1/2" long slot? If they are the SLOT, then you have the earlier heads and/or block.

You say it's a 360 ... next, check the casting numbers on the heads and post those up. You might have snagged a higher compression 360, which would be a 1970 or early 1971. If you did, you have a nice deal for $250.

Sincerely,
GregTaylor
Rochester Hills, MI

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2": 330" AMC stroker V8 (about to be dynoed soon). 5" lift 31" BFG A/T's. Killer32 front bumper & DozerII rear swing-out bumper, Water Injection / Hydrogen Injection Coming Soon ... Oh Yeah! And a FISH Carburetor!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Block casting #3195528 Heads are#3196291-1 Thanks for the info, Any word on the copper tube in the lifter valley? Thanks John

·
Terminator 2
1,158 Posts
You have scored yourself an engine with the 1970-71 early high compression heads. It probably is a 10:1 compression motor ... would need the heads pulled to check the piston dish or for flat-top.

You have indeed scored yourself a nice engine. Pavement Pounder has one for sale for about $500 right now.

The line in the lifter galley is to run MORE oil pressure to the rear mains, which tend to get starved on oil, since they're oil LAST.

You can see pics of that type of line on my AMC 304 stroker build at http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=95564

Sincerely,
GregTaylor
Rochester Hills, MI

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2": 330" AMC stroker V8 (about to be dynoed soon). 5" lift 31" BFG A/T's. Killer32 front bumper & DozerII rear swing-out bumper, Water Injection / Hydrogen Injection Coming Soon ... Oh Yeah! And a FISH Carburetor!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Engine must have been gone through at one time, With the addition of the oil line kit. Good to know I got a deal once in a wile.:woot:

·
ginger greaser
358 Posts
Damn you. I want those heads. I'm just now starting to build the motor for my javelin amx.

·
More boost than yours:)
1,252 Posts
Yep, the *291 heads that you have are the sought after ones.
They don't necessarliy flow better than the later one, but like you said, they have individual studs and the later "dog leg" exhaust ports that make the AMC exhause so much better than other brands.

Looks like a good deal to me.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Damn you. I want those heads. I'm just now starting to build the motor for my javelin amx.
I don't really want to part with the couple sets that I have while I still have motors for them, but I know Jeepers48 has a set.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
I don't really want to part with the couple sets that I have while I still have motors for them, but I know Jeepers48 has a set.

:teehee::teehee::teehee::teehee::teehee:

i'm not parting with mine either
unless PP wants to trade me his running 401 for my 304 with 291 heads, 360 with an issue and my 401 :d:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts