Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'm a Newb (but not dumb)
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a amc 327 from a 1966 rambler ambassador well actually I have the whole car but I'm thinking about parting it out. The motor should run (I need to check it). If it does I'm thinking $300 (make offers I don't really know what it's worth) for it or trades for 1994 jeep cherokee (xj) parts. Also the motor was supposedly gone through before I got the car but it has been sitting for a number of years.

Just looking to see if there is any interest in it.

info on the motor and how it pertains to jeeps.

The AMC 327 was similar to the 287, but displaced 327 in³ (5.4 L) due to the bore increase to 4.0". Unlike the 250, the 327 came with hydraulic valve lifters.

This engine debuted in a special edition Rambler Rebel of which only 1500 were made. All had silver paint with a gold annodized "spear" down each side. This was to be the first electronic fuel injected production engine, but teething problems with the Bendix "Electrojector" unit meant that only a few engineering and press cars were built, estimated to be no more than six units, but at least two were known to have been built. The EFI 327 was rated at 288 hp, the production 4V carbureted model at 255 hp.

The 327 was not available in any other Rambler models in 1957. The Ambassador and Hornet "Special" cars were dropped after 1956, replaced by standard wheelbase models with the 327 instead of 250 V-8. When the big Nash and Hudson cars were dropped they were replaced by the 1958 "Ambassador by Rambler" — a stretched Rebel (Rambler V-8) with the 327 V-8 instead of the 250. The 327 was exclusive to the Ambassador line, and couldn't be ordered in a Rebel or Classic. The 327 was also sold to Kaiser Motors from 1965 to 1967 for use in the early Wagoneers and the Gladiator pick-ups. Kaiser switched to Buick 350s in 1967 in these models up to 1970 when AMC acquired the Jeep Division of Kaiser.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/engine-factory-amc-v8-engines.htm

·
I'm a Newb (but not dumb)
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rain finally stopped enough to get me outside I got the thing started up and it still sounds good. definitely needs a carb rebuild but everything else seems good still. If anyone wants to come by and hear it run pm me and we can talk about when you can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts