Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. Jeep guy's here ya go a question that might be easy but I can't answer it!! I picked up three engines today, The guy I got them from has had them for awhile in his shed he said the guy he got them from said two were 304 and one was a 401. Now how can I tell? The casting on the blocks all say 360! I have heard all the blocks from 304 to 401 are the same but would they be marked differently??

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the casting on the block says 360, then they all are 360.

The blocks are externally the same, but the bores are different.
It has been discussed in great detail over at the International Full Size Jeep Association (www.ifsja.org)
and BullTear, an excellent custom Jeep machine shop in MN (www.bulltear.com) about boring a 360 out to a 401.
IMHO, it can be done, but with great risks of thin cylinder walls which leads to overheating issues.
As far as I know, no one has ever bored a 304 to 401 specs.

I run 360 V8 in both my J20 and Grand Wagoneer.
I like the 360 and a person can produce an easy 300HP from one without much trouble.
I have spare 360 motors in my shop and someday hope to mate one with with a Worldclass T-5 from a GT Mustang
and drop the combo under the hood of a '71-'74 AMC Javelin.

Now, having said all that, I do plan to replace my Wag's 360 for a 6.2L Diesel.
I like the 360 a lot, but hate 12 MPG.

I would like to think the 360 will do everything you want to do!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I wasn't sure if the block was true to bore or if they used the 360 block for all!! I have a 360 in my cj-7 and like it alot I'm starting a project now and will proably keep the best one of the three and scrap the other two, Thanks for the answer!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts