Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Balls Deep
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The situation: Girlfriend is mad at me.

3 weeks ago she finds out she was exposed to the 'Rona. Monday she got took a test. Tuesday the results came back. Positive for the 'Rona. She took ten days off work and returned to work. No test to say negative or antibody tests, just assumedly all better. She says she's mostly better, but maintains a "heavy feeling" in her chest. She stayed home for the ten days with the dog and kids.

She returned to work monday this week.
The kids couldn't return to school till today.

background info typically, she leaves home about 5:00 am. Drops the kids off to her mom at 5:15-5:30 and goes to work. After work she oicks the kids up from school and goes back to her moms where there is wifi and they all do their homework there. (Her included as she is taking online classes) Her mom's boyfriend lives with her. He was the first to get the 'Rona and where she was exposed to it. Her mom was never actually tested for it, they just told her she should assume she has it.

This week, while she was back to work and the kids were still out of school, her mom watched them and helped with their online school stuff. Today they returned to school.

So now, she's been back to work a week and the kids are back to school.

I have not been over to see her or fix the things she wants me to fix on her house since two days before she was exposed.

I'm nervous to go over there. The kids were obviously exposed, but not tested. They could have been exposed but not contracted the virus til a few days ago. She still isnt 100%, and hasn't tested as negative. They all go to her moms house every day for hours, where her mom has been exposed, but might not have contracted it until a week or so ago.

How do I know that I'm safe to go to her house and see her and the kids?

I'm just starting into a super important time period at work with time critical projects that need to be done. We will also be ramping up soon at work going from 10 ppl to 40 ppl til memorial day, all doing time sensitive work.

Am I out of line to stay away?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

·
Yooper In Training
7,168 Posts
Last I saw was you were clear to return to work/school 10 days after onset of symptoms or a positive diagnosis, or 14 days after exposure if neither of those aforementioned things happened. No negative test needed, the experts figured out when you stop being contagious and that's what the timeframe is based on.

So on one hand the clock doesn't start ticking for the kids end of exposure until that 10 or 14 day period depending which person you're talking about. But kids are also low risk spreaders because of their little lungs. The fact that she's allowed back at work and her kids are about to be allowed back at school means you're probably in the clear. But that doesn't make you out of line for being extra cautious, especially since you have valid reasons to be avoiding unnecessary risk.

Do what you're comfortable with, if she's a good girlfriend she'll deal with it for a bit longer. If she freaks out and breaks up with you for it, it was bound to happen sooner or later and consider yourself lucky for finding out now.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,371 Posts
^^^^ what he said.
When I had the virus I was told I did NOT need a negative test to return to work and I was allowed back 10 days after my first symptoms appeared. AFAIK that is still the same.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,083 Posts
^^^^ what he said.
When I had the virus I was told I did NOT need a negative test to return to work and I was allowed back 10 days after my first symptoms appeared. AFAIK that is still the same.
x2

·
Balls Deep
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really, my biggest worry is no knowing if or when the kids, or her mom got ot and if they are still in the contagious tine frame.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,371 Posts
@whiterhino @brewmenn

Did either of you still have symptoms when you went back to work?

I had the Rona the first week of December. One of the biggest symptoms I had was sever fatigue and I was tired still for another month before I got back to my normal sleep habits. My taste is still fucked up. One day it's normal, the next day I eat something and I get an aftertaste of some sort that can last for 2 days. It's weird.

From what I gather, a person is no longer contagious after a few days. True? I don't know.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,055 Posts
What about getting vaccinated? Even after just your first shot you're reasonably well protected and 94% or better after your second shot.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,083 Posts
@whiterhino @brewmenn

Did either of you still have symptoms when you went back to work?

Oops, sorry, I didn't mean that I also had it, I was just agreeing with Whiterhino agreeing with bbaXJ. I have not had it.

And no, I don't think you're out of line for being concerned.

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
I agree with what has been said here. You are not out of line for being cautious. This last year has taught us that being cautious keeps you safe against this virus. (for the most part) I also agree with getting vaccinated, then you don't need to worry about it.

Have you explained your reasoning to your girlfriend? (I assume you have)

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Buck up BUTTERCUP !!!! Life is to short to live in fear, I am not telling you to go lick doorknobs, but stop letting fear run your life.

RBB

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,817 Posts
If you're around kids that go to school, you're exposed daily whether you know it or not. That's been our family motto. Here's the thing, how do you know you haven't had it already? There's no way to know so fuck it, live.

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
If you're around kids that go to school, you're exposed daily whether you know it or not. That's been our family motto. Here's the thing, how do you know you haven't had it already? There's no way to know so fuck it, live.
He could be asymptomatic.

I still say his concern is valid if he doesn't want to miss work due to some big upcoming projects. If he gets it, you know he will have to take time off...

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
The cdc reports that you have a 99.7% survivability if you get sick. If you are older then it's about 99.5%

·
Yooper In Training
7,168 Posts
The cdc reports that you have a 99.7% survivability if you get sick. If you are older then it's about 99.5%
Let's see a source for that. Your fatality rate is off by close to a factor of ten based on anything I've ever seen. The silly 99.7% survivability claims include all those people who don't even get COVID. Even considering the countless cases that will never be diagnosed due to not being test or even symptomatic, the .3-.5% fatality number you claim is still way off from anything I've seen. Regardless, I'm a lot more worried about surviving with long term effects than I am of dying from it. I'm still living life, but with a reasonable level of caution.

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
Let's see a source for that. Your fatality rate is off by close to a factor of ten based on anything I've ever seen. The silly 99.7% survivability claims include all those people who don't even get COVID. Even considering the countless cases that will never be diagnosed due to not being test or even symptomatic, the .3-.5% fatality number you claim is still way off from anything I've seen. Regardless, I'm a lot more worried about surviving with long term effects than I am of dying from it. I'm still living life, but with a reasonable level of caution.
This.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
I'll look up a source for that for you. I think for the past year most people are concerned if not down right fearful of getting sick or dying. Most people wash and sanitize more, I know I do. I don't want to get sick because it sucks. I did get really sick jan 2019 for about a week and a half. Felt sluggish for a few weeks and that's about it.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Coronavirus Recovery: Rate, Time, and Outlook (webmd.com)

·
Yooper In Training
7,168 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts